PDA

View Full Version : GSXR - Valve Adjustment / Tune-Up

cypher--x
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Looking to have my bike given the one over. Some basic tune-up and perhaps a valve adjustment. I have been told, read, advised, (you pick) that 2k GSXR's should have a value adjustment every 10k. Well I bought mine with 28K and I don't know if it has ever had the valves adjusted. Is a valve adjustment something the home mechanice can do? Is it really that hard? does it require tools I am likly to not have?

It think it cost about +/- $200 to have Gary's do it but he's busy and may be something I can do.

Suggestions?????

Calkidd
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Depedning on your level of mechanical skills it can be done. It isn't hard, but make sure you have a manual.

hippylong
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
will i'm sure it's a shim valve system. right.
to do them it takes a custom tool.
no biggie.. just need tool to remove shims.. (if out of valve spec.)
and most people make their own tool...

personaly if he's only charging you 200 to do valves .
it's worth it..
and if you have the bike with tank off ect. it makes it rteal fast for mech.

a can do non shim.
and have tools for it.

zpyro
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
yay for self adjusting valves! :evilgrin0013:

GusGus748s
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Do it yourself and use the $200.00 to buy the necessary tools / parts.:D

hippylong
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Do it yourself and use the $200.00 to buy the necessary tools / parts.:D

thats what i do..

speedjunkie
Aug 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
i did it on my sv650. it was a shim underbucket setup. didnt need any special tools. its really not hard, just take the extra time to check everything and be careful.

and get ahold of a service manuel first. either online or hard copy. there are free ones floating around online.

LDH
Aug 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
shim UNDER bucket means the cams comes out to exchange the shims after first measurement is made. I would not recommend it for first timers.

Ciner929
Aug 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Pay the $$, let someone else do it, that way, if they screw up, THEY pay for it.....if you screw up...it's out of your pocket:)

hippylong
Aug 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Pay the $$, let someone else do it, that way, if they screw up, THEY pay for it.....if you screw up...it's out of your pocket:)

yea, like wilsons...
hehehe right cin...