PDA

View Full Version : Track for GusGus & motobigboy & others

Devlausdan
Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hey GusGus and motobigboy and others. Thought I share a little. I'm sure the experts above me will come and add more useful knowledge than what little I have to share with you guys. But I'll start.

You two said this below:

I've been thinking of going to the track, but $$$ is short right now so it won't happen anytime soon. I guess, I'll just keep the bike for now and see what happens later on.

i dont know much about track day's myself so im planning to go check out the one on 8/16, i might cage it there or ride my bike, not sure yet but you're more than welcome join. i want to see what its all bout before investing extra money i dont have into it.
:

I've got the gear. Except that the full 1pc suit that I've got is a little too long from the leg department. However, aaw749r gave me a # and address for a place in Clovis that can work on it.

I'll be calling them tomorrow to see how much it will cost.

This is what I've got so far:
1) 1 pc suit (needs a little alteration)
2) helmet
3) full gaunlet gloves
4) Alpinestars supertech and setup boots

So, pretty much that leaves my bike to be set up. I definately know that I need to do the suspension for my K5 since it is way too soft and I weight 220 without gear....or I can lose weight...hmmm yeah right!

So, I'm not sure if I'm leaving anything out.

I read this article in a magazine. Thought I share it with you two.

You love the control you have over your machine. But occasionally you fine yourself pushing the limits - of yourself, your motorcycle and the law. But there is a time and place for everything.

I bet you've had one of those moments where you've pushed it a little too far. Unfortunately, local law enforcement doesn't often approve of this behavior. And hospital food sucks. So instead of putting your wallet (or your life) in jeopardy, consider this alternative: a race track. Intimidating? Yes. Educational? Yes. Exhilarating? Absolutely. There are so many advantages to riding a racetrack that you'll wonder why you wait3ed so long to give it a shot. You don't have to be fast to participate in a track day; you just have to be patient, and prepared to listen and learn. Getting started is probably the most difficult part. Lack of information causes fear -- and fear is the last thing you need when considering the track.

The cost associated with a track event can be easily justified if you compare it to the cost of a speeding ticket. Most track days range from $120 - $250 depending on where you choose to ride.

BEFORE TRACK DAY:
Riding Gears...
* Helmet: Full faced helmet.
* Apparel: Jacket and pants need to fully zip together. Consider a one-piece suit, which offers more protection in the event of an accident. Make sure you have good armor in teh impact areas: hips,elbows, knees and shoulders. Leather garments are going to stretch slightly, so if you are purchasing something off the rack don't buy leather that's too loose - you want snug, but not uncomfortable.
* Body armor: Do Not froget to wear a back protector, preferably in addition to the basic pad in teh average suit.
* Footwear: Boots need to cover your ankles and provide good ankle support.
* Gloves: Make sure that your gloves offer protection of the outside of your wrists, knuckles and palms of your hands. Gloves stretch quite a bit; you hands will be sweaty and constantly moving, so you'll break in new gloves quickly.

Bike Prep
* Tires, chains and fluids need to be checked and double-checked to ensure road-worthiness.
* Most track day companies will ask that you tape off your headlights and taillights, remove your license plate, and tape down your wheel weights.
* Remove your mirros and place a zip-tie throught the bolt holes.
* Last but not least, check your drain plug! You don't want to end up being "that guy" who dump oil all over the track surface.
* And Don't Forget Your KEYS to your motorcycle.

ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
* Water! Dehydration is a rider's worst enemy! You are responsible for keeping yourself hydrated!
* Chairs and canopy. It is nice to have a place to sit, and even nicer to have a little shade to sit under when you are not on the track. If you don't have a canopy, lots of folks do .... so make some friends at the track.
* Change of clothes for when you are finished riding. You don't want to drive home in the same sweaty stuff you've been riding in all day.

* SIGN UP!!! Stop talking about it. Stop fantasizing about it. Stop procrastinating, Just dive in... SIGN UP!!!

This was taken for Ti2TT's policy.

Advanced (A Group): This group is designed for racers and very experienced track riders. The pace is extremely fast and SAFE passing is allowed both on the inside and outside.

Rider's in this group should be able to lap Buttonwillow (AFM courses) in under 2.10, Willow Springs in under 1.40, Streets of Willow in under 1.38 and Spring Mtn. in under 2.10.

Intermediate (B Group): This group is designed for experienced track riders looking to hone their track skills. B riders should be very adept at riding racetracks but are not quite up to the pace of the A group. Passing is allowed on the inside and outside with a 6' berth of space between riders.

Novice (C group): This group is designed for very experienced road riders who may have little or no track experience. If you have never been to a track before, or if it has been a while, this is the group for you. It provides a more relaxed pace and provides the opportunity to become familiar with racetrack riding. Passing is allowed on the outside with a 6' berth of space between riders

If our track monitors feel it is necessary, you may be bumped up or down depending on what is observed. This must be done by us. Group jumping is not allowed

If you feel that you have placed yourself in the wrong group and it has not been noticed by us, we will be happy to observe you for a few laps and make a decision. HOWEVER, IF YOU SIGNED YOURSELF UP IN A GROUP JUST TO GET INTO THE DAY BECAUSE YOUR SKILL LEVEL GROUP WAS SOLD OUT; YOU WILL NOT BE RIDING THAT DAY AND YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE FORFIETED!

Track Day
* Tracks gates should open at 7 AM.
* You'll need to sign a waiver to enter the track.
* Find a spot for where you want to unload and set up tent.
* Typical track day, 7:30 to 8:25 Registration and tech inspection.
* Take your bike to TECH Inspection.
* Attend mandatory rider's meeting in the morning. Most track usually hold it at 8:00 or 8:15 AM.
* Meeting will go over some track rules and explanation of flags.
* GREEN = go. YELLOW = warning, something coming up so slow down. RED = stop! And stop means stop at exactly where you are on the track. Medics can send an emergency crew out to the track until everyone stops. BLACK flag and CHECKER flags means just about the same thing. BLACK = your session has ended early due to what ever. Get off the track until track officials clears things up and you can get back on. BLACK point directly at you = you specifically have done something wrong or improper and you need to get off. Track official want to talk to you. CHECKER flag = your session has ended on schedule.
* After rider's meetings, A group starts first then B Group then C group. 20 minutes per session. And continues rotating throughout the day. Break only for lunch.
* Don't Speed in the pits.
* Don't Drink or use drugs
* Don't Crash! Ride within your limits.

This was a mouth full. Sorry for it being so long. Best thing is guys, lets all just go together. It's easier and funner that way. See you guys out there when you're ready.

motobigboy
Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
sweet!:D thanks for the info.

and yes i would love to be able to see what my bike can do on the track with some experiance under my belt.

some guys took me on a road up to "sherry" on the way to prather, and it had nice sweeping curves, they flat out-rode me on 600s but i still had a great time.

Kyles R6
Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
which is why for the avg trackday junkie a 600 is a better choice, you should see how many liter bikes i outride and pass. coming around the front straight i will hang with some because i can carry more corner speed but 1/2-3/4 down they start to pull away but like most liter bikes they park it in the corner so i can usually pass them on the brakes :p

motobigboy
Aug 4th, 2008, 12:18 AM
which is why for the avg trackday junkie a 600 is a better choice, you should see how many liter bikes i outride and pass. coming around the front straight i will hang with some because i can carry more corner speed but 1/2-3/4 down they start to pull away but like most liter bikes they park it in the corner so i can usually pass them on the brakes :p

would my 05 gixer be better for track, and i do have a 89 gixxer but needs alot of work but could be a winter project?

hippylong
Aug 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
would my 05 gixer be better for track, and i do have a 89 gixxer but needs alot of work but could be a winter project?

you need to bring the 89 to hippy's place.
i have receint skill on redoing chit.

motobigboy
Aug 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM
i have recient knowlage on redoing chit.

chit it is, but i always loved the 88'-90' body of a gixxer. but will do, when is good for you? ill send picks before you have to respond:evilgrin0013:

hippylong
Aug 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM
chit it is, but i always loved the 88'-90' body of a gixxer. but will do, when is good for you? ill send picks before you have to respond:evilgrin0013:

mine is almost done.
came in a crate..

motobigboy
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:46 AM
mine is almost done.
came in a crate..

send me some pics

aaw749r
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i have receint skill on redoing chit.

OK Hip, You are starting to sound like a kid from the bay area.

GsxR1000Ryda
Aug 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM
With the amount of tickets and recently this crashed i could of had a full years worth of track days. It really comes down to this, if you wana go fast, be safe, and not got in trouble with the law, the track is the only place to go..

GusGus748s
Aug 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll be getting ready for the track soon :)

Kyles R6
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM

absolutely! the 750 will be alot easier to ride than a 1k, you wont have to worry about the rear stepping out as much with the 750 if you give it too much throttle(which can be if you can control it :D) and with the 1k you have the centrifugal force of the motor trying to keep the bike upright while your "fighting" to get it leaned over. the 750 is basically a fast 600

motobigboy
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
absolutely! the 750 will be alot easier to ride than a 1k, you wont have to worry about the rear stepping out as much with the 750 if you give it too much throttle(which can be if you can control it :D) and with the 1k you have the centrifugal force of the motor trying to keep the bike upright while your "fighting" to get it leaned over. the 750 is basically a fast 600

thank you for your insight, now just to get in top running condition again.

Devlausdan
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:07 AM

The 05 is the bike of choice. My buddy Houa rides his 06 Gixxer there. Plus there's a lot of guys who do ride K5-K6 at the track. It was an incredible bike for that year. Good overall bike.

Devlausdan
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
With the amount of tickets and recently this crashed i could of had a full years worth of track days. It really comes down to this, if you wana go fast, be safe, and not got in trouble with the law, the track is the only place to go..

When did you get a ticket riding your K8? :confused2::confused2:

Kyles R6
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
i would also suggest more than just water, bring gatorade to help replenish your energy. salt tablets can also keep you hydrated but start hydrating a few days before.

if you can stay the night before, getting up at 4 to drive a few hrs is bad enough but then trying to ride hard all day is exhausting. 20 mins doesnt sound like a lot of time but its a work out especially as you get faster, which is why the last 2 sessions are the best because its basically an open track.

bring tools, zipties and spare parts if you have them.....you never know.

most organizations will require you to also drain your coolant and replace it with water

up in smoke
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
If any of you are going to the track day on the 16th I will be there too. I will not be riding so I can help anyone out if they needed it.

I love teaching and giving tips and advice, well at least to what I know. I will never tell you any advice if I don't know the answer instead I will go find out and come back.

:rolleyes:

Calkidd
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
:rolleyes:
Yeah it did sound a little arrogant and I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I like talking to people who are humble enough to listen to other opinions or suggestions. Except for you Byron, you seem to have all the answers.

up in smoke
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah it did sound a little arrogant and I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I like talking to people who are humble enough to listen to other opinions or suggestions. Except for you Byron, you seem to have all the answers.

:dblthumb2:

motobigboy
Aug 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
well it looks like the 750 will get the track make over, and Calkidd the more information i have the better chance i have of keeping the rubber on the track on not my arce!:D