PDA

View Full Version : Central Valley Motards

06smcya
Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
A collection of supermoto riders from the valley. We're always looking for more goofballs drinking the sumo water. Still working on getting a webpage up so until then will just be using the myspace group page: http://groups.myspace.com/CentralValleyMotards

-Jason:sumo:

06smcya
Aug 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
:evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013:

poach
Aug 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
^^^hehe...CLASSIC!

SM...maybe I'll try not to scare you inline guys...maybe...lol

06smcya
Aug 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
:evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013:

poach
Aug 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I love passing an inline rider somewhere he's never, ever, EVER, been passed before and watch em practically flinch out of their leathers.:)

06smcya
Aug 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

tarmacter
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Only 3 of us?! I know I've seen more of us out on the roads...we need to get the word out.

Supermoto21
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
make that 4 of us

ducbill996
Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
:here::here:

i'm here... been here waiting for you guys....

SXV 550
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have one of those funny bikes with the little wheels TOO. Got to get a ride going?????:D

montibank
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
well not there just yet. got a 530 with knobbies... I am hoping for a moto kit for it by christmas...

~

Michael

ducbill996
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
well not there just yet. got a 530 with knobbies... I am hoping for a moto kit for it by christmas...

~

Michael

SM kit for chrismas... dreams can come true.

Deus
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I need a new supermoto :(

The DRZ really loses the little grunt it has when up at altitude & climbing hills.

So who has an 08 SXV5.5 for a good price? :evilgrin0013:

tarmacter
Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Montibank...dude...do it. A sm kit on that bike would be awesome...you'd have to get orange Woody's wheels though. :popcorn: Gotta see this... :D

tarmacter
Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ditto on getting a ride going. How about a quick meet and greet tomorrow evening and a ride up old tollhouse? :) Say 5PM at Riverbucks, rolling by 5:15?

SXV 550
Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM

~

Michael

How do you like the EXC-R? I am thinking of getting one but reading the other forums and they say to get it to even run well, needs smog removed, new exhaust can, carb rejetted etc.....The normal stuff and a lot of maintenance....Have you had yours long enough.........Any thoughts......

Carl

SXV 550
Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Ditto on getting a ride going. How about a quick meet and greet tomorrow evening and a ride up old tollhouse? :) Say 5PM at Riverbucks, rolling by 5:15?

I will pass on fri eve ride......Most any time earlier in the day and most days works better for me. I don't have a job........I like leaving early am or mid morning and be done riding later in the day.........Sat it is suposed to rain which will clean the roads nicely, i hope..........We will get together soon.........

Carl

branktm
Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
How do you like the EXC-R? I am thinking of getting one but reading the other forums and they say to get it to even run well, needs smog removed, new exhaust can, carb rejetted etc.....The normal stuff and a lot of maintenance....Have you had yours long enough.........Any thoughts......

Carl

Well as far as getting it to run right, you gotta blame that all on cali emmissions, yes there are somethings you gotta do to it, Stock they run great, un corked they run better, but what you have to remember is U GOT A PLATE! you can get away with just uncorking the pipe rather than replacing the whole thing, once you do that there are jetting to do, and depending on how much off roading you do some guys ad a fan, i'll say what i always tell my customers, ride it and decide from there what you want everyone is different

tarmacter
Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Anyone else prefer a morning ride? I don't care either way...so long as we can get together and ride?

branktm
Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:14 PM

by the way josh, the sherriffs finally stopped circling the shop after our test drive that was ridiculous, i cant wheelie without causing a stir, lucky i was on your bike, cause my adventure cant hide from anyone being bright freakin orange. two sherriffs and a chippy followed my service manager back to the shop two times on his test drives and were hiding out up and down golden state. GAY

tarmacter
Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ahh...Brandon as in Wilsons....cool. Sup!

LOL. (Everybody gather round) I am looking for a 950 Adv. and branktm was cool enough to let me ride his, after a little chit chat at Wilsons. Of course, I returned the favor and to put it simply...he can ride. :D Kinda cool to see someone do stuff on your bike that you can't even pull off. LOL. Anyways, he got some unwanted attention from a nearby Sherriff copter. Followed us back to Wilsons and just kept circling.

Sucks about the CHP's hawking...It's not all that bad though. Maybe nows a good time to try and get a new test drive route...up and down Golden State has got to get old. :sleep:

McLuvin_R1
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
:evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013:

I cant stop laughing, seriously this is classic.

McLuvin_R1
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I love passing an inline rider somewhere he's never, ever, EVER, been passed before and watch em practically flinch out of their leathers.:)

True that, on some of these hills around here theirs so much dirt and gravel I feel like busting the CRF250R out instead.

I know I can go faster on my dirt bike on some of these tight(I mean Tight) dirty hills.

But on a track, where these SS bikes are ment to be NO COMPARISON!

06smcya
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM

~

Michael

Watch Supermotojunkie.com. The classified section is SWEET! Also check twowheelsteals.com EVERYDAY as they change the insane supermoto deals daily! :word: They have a sick brake setup on there right now for CHEAP... and it'll fit your Katoom with a relocation bracket!

06smcya
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Will be posting supermoto ride soon! What works best for you fella's? Weekdays/weekends? I know JoeKing is all about Sundays. I also expect all sumo riders to invade Wilsons TOMORROW. We're taking over this biotch! (its the grand opening)

montibank
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
How do you like the EXC-R? I am thinking of getting one but reading the other forums and they say to get it to even run well, needs smog removed, new exhaust can, carb rejetted etc.....The normal stuff and a lot of maintenance....Have you had yours long enough.........Any thoughts......Carl

3K miles on it now. It is not a street bike, its a 90/10 bike, the maintenance intervals are really short (15 hours of operation = oil+valves). I came from a FE650e with even worse maint. intervals (5 hours!!) with a TON more power stock and 20lbs lighter. The 530 feels a little underpowered stock, but it will wheelie, the biggest stock set up issue, jetting was so lean to pass EPA requirements it was a joke. Mine is re-jetted (JD Jet Kit) stock gearing, otherwise stock. The stock exhaust can has an opening too small for me to get my little pinky finger in, I imagine that is where I am loosing a lot of power. Lame as heck this Dualsport (ya right, more like plated dirt bike) did not come stock in 2008 with a fan. Oh you can buy one(KTM makes them), but for $9k what a petty thing not to be included on the bike stock.

My personal feelings, nice bike, does what it should. I hear its less buzzy then the husky 510s. Some problems with starting (still after jetting fixed) which all seems to be tied to valve clearance. This thing is really picky about valve clearance, it has to be dead on or its a bear to start. The kick start is all but useless, but the e-start works 95% of the time. Wilson's replaced my cam with a factory upgrade (or so they tell me). I am working on getting a Q4 exhaust now which is really supposed to wake the bike up considerably, and I am hoping make the starting issues disappear.

Its not a bad bike, the suspension is incredibly forgiving on the trails, and it is a tank. You can't stall this bike uphill on the throttle, it chugs right along. It is a torquish bike not a top end machine.

I have had it all over the place, its a blast, hasn't let me down yet.

~

Michael

Deus
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
You guys might want to check the weather when it comes to riding this weekend. Saturday is supposed to be a wet day.

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I'm out for tomorrow, work.

So anybody want to to meet up later and do Old Tollhouse? :popcorn:

Deus
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm out for tomorrow, work.

So anybody want to to meet up later and do Old Tollhouse? :popcorn:

I'm down for today since this weekend is going to have spotty weather.

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Great...availablity? Can I get a show of hands: 4,5 or 6 at Riverbucks, tonight?

Deus
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Great...availablity? Can I get a show of hands: 4,5 or 6 at Riverbucks, tonight?

Early enough so we don't spend a bunch of time in the hills at dark. I'm scurred of da boogie man.

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone else? I am feeling like 5PM @ Riverbucks, rolling at 5:15.

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Alright...Here's the itinerary: Riverbucks @ 5:00. Ride Shepherd to the 168 to Sample, ride past Humphrey St. to the top of the 4 Lanes. Depending on available light/conditions ride back down again or take the 4 lanes down. After the ride we'll head over to Willowbucks(should be around 7:00).

So far just me and Deus.

Deus
Oct 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Sexy twosome!

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Threesomes are better...I think UFO wants some action now too... :popcorn:

UFO
Oct 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking I'll meet you at 168 / Shepard 5:30.....

But, I'll keep you posted, gotta check with the boss!

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Great!

SXV 550
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
3K miles on it now. It is not a street bike, its a 90/10 bike, the maintenance intervals are really short (15 hours of operation = oil+valves). I came from a FE650e with even worse maint. intervals (5 hours!!) with a TON more power stock and 20lbs lighter. The 530 feels a little underpowered stock, but it will wheelie, the biggest stock set up issue, jetting was so lean to pass EPA requirements it was a joke. Mine is re-jetted (JD Jet Kit) stock gearing, otherwise stock. The stock exhaust can has an opening too small for me to get my little pinky finger in, I imagine that is where I am loosing a lot of power. Lame as heck this Dualsport (ya right, more like plated dirt bike) did not come stock in 2008 with a fan. Oh you can buy one(KTM makes them), but for $9k what a petty thing not to be included on the bike stock.

My personal feelings, nice bike, does what it should. I hear its less buzzy then the husky 510s. Some problems with starting (still after jetting fixed) which all seems to be tied to valve clearance. This thing is really picky about valve clearance, it has to be dead on or its a bear to start. The kick start is all but useless, but the e-start works 95% of the time. Wilson's replaced my cam with a factory upgrade (or so they tell me). I am working on getting a Q4 exhaust now which is really supposed to wake the bike up considerably, and I am hoping make the starting issues disappear.

Its not a bad bike, the suspension is incredibly forgiving on the trails, and it is a tank. You can't stall this bike uphill on the throttle, it chugs right along. It is a torquish bike not a top end machine.

I have had it all over the place, its a blast, hasn't let me down yet.

~

Michael

Thanks for the detailed report.........I just purchased one this afternoon. Pick it up tomorrow, rejetted, fan, steering dampner..........will soon see. thanks again.........Carl

SXV 550
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Will be posting supermoto ride soon! What works best for you fella's? Weekdays/weekends? I know JoeKing is all about Sundays. I also expect all sumo riders to invade Wilsons TOMORROW. We're taking over this biotch! (its the grand opening)

Hey Jason.......I vote for weekdays, less traffic, but can do weekends too.........Wilsons on Sat, yes..............Carl

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hey Jason.......I vote for weekdays, less traffic, but can do weekends too...

+1

tarmacter
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
UFO, call me on my cell if you cant' make it. 676-1838 Otherwise we'll meet you at Shepherd/168.

UFO
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
UFO, call me on my cell if you cant' make it. 676-1838 Otherwise we'll meet you at Shepherd/168.

OUT! Need to do something with the wife. Still might make coffee later.

montibank
Oct 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the detailed report.........I just purchased one this afternoon. Pick it up tomorrow, rejetted, fan, steering dampner..........will soon see. thanks again.........Carl

YOU BUM! I am jealous! So where are we meeting to break your motor in? Did you get the 08 or the 09??

After the ride we'll head over to Willowbucks(should be around 7:00). So far just me and Deus.

Hummm might meet ya at willowbucks ... I will have to check with the boss as well.

Update: Request for leave denied - Ill catch up with yall later.

~

Michael

ducbill996
Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM

did you talk to tanner?

SXV 550
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
YOU BUM! I am jealous! So where are we meeting to break your motor in? Did you get the 08 or the 09??

Michael

I got an 09, they had 2 on the floor + 09 450 too. At least what i saw. I haven't given any thought about where i was going to ride as yet.....Possible SUMO ride on sunday and if that develops i will ride my Aprilia, but nothing for sure yet??????

branktm
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I got an 09, they had 2 on the floor + 09 450 too. At least what i saw. I haven't given any thought about where i was going to ride as yet.....Possible SUMO ride on sunday and if that develops i will ride my Aprilia, but nothing for sure yet??????

carl ur bike is done and ready to go! see u in the morning

SXV 550
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
did you talk to tanner?

I went and talked to tanner at 9am. They only had 1 Husky 250 left. 510 sold yesterday.......Had more coming but possibly tuesday for 08's and springtime before the 09's. Husky's are less money for sure.......THere were several factors why i decided as i did.......Reaserching things i found KTM doesn't have a fan, carb so need rejetting as opposed FI in Husky. There are more tank selections for the KTM 3.4, 4.1, 6.3, 6.6 gallon tanks......THis is WITHOUT a fan.....For sure the 3.4 fits, they will have to call on larger ones with fan if it clears. BUT the fan is cheap and in stock, steering dampner not cheap but in stock. The abs skid plate, hand guards, AND JET kit were already installed in this floor model.........So i left it there and they installed extras this afternoon. As you know Bill the 510 is really singing at 80 mph or wound up, stock gearing. KTM has larger gap gear box, just as in my adventure, and you don't even click 6 gear until 60mph, so that is nice getting to some trails/dirt.........Compared to my Aprilia it feels awfully weak, same weight but like 20+ less horsepower. I rode it on pavement and got it onto some dirt and roosted that back wheel in 1st and 2nd and it really felt great off the pavement and onto some dirt hooking up the knobbie..........I talked to Robert and Duane in the shop and the 09's made some changes over the 08, so i just signed on............ So when you want to SUMO or dirt, let me know, i am ready to ride..............Carl

SXV 550
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
carl ur bike is done and ready to go! see u in the morning

Thanks Brandon........I will be there a little before noon to get the bike out of the way.......Then hope it isn't raining to catch the Stunt show......

ducbill996
Oct 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
the 08 huskys do come stock with fans... it's the 07 and down that dont... but i haven't had a need for a fan on my husky anyway... the little tank on the 08 husky is too small though...when they redesigned the bike in 08, they should have given the bike a larger tank...

the stock gearing on the SM huskys are higher than the TC's... so mine is fine with the stock gearing as i have found out after switching to it for dirt riding... but yeah, the TC may be a little low but i don't know... i've heard stock geared TC's will do about 100 MPH, so they prolly aren't too low geared...

the husky and the KTM are both great bikes. i don't think you can go wrong with either one... one cost's a lot more than the other though...

ducbill996
Oct 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM
So when you want to SUMO or dirt, let me know, i am ready to ride..............Carl

we could prolly do that ride we were talking about tom. if you want. we need to see if joe wants to go...

SXV 550
Oct 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
we could prolly do that ride we were talking about tom. if you want. we need to see if joe wants to go...

See you tomorrow...........

montibank
Oct 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I haven't given any thought about where i was going to ride as yet.

www.dsrider.com (http://www.dsrider.com) guys are riding next Saturday (bring yer knobbies) Not that SUMOs are unwelcome, hell if you can keep up I would LOVE to you see you show me up offroad on slicks! For updates and Bull#$%^ go here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8154025#post8154025)

I missed the 13th ride with Tanners bunch, was at Oceano Dunes SVRA destroying the tail section on my 530.

So broke, SM kit this christmas is not going to happen. At best it will be next summer.

~

Michael

montibank
Nov 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
LOOK AT THIS!

What a cool way to get into a new hobby on the cheap. No you are not going to win any races on it, but it is almost cheaper then buying a wheel kit for my 530, and I might be able to whittle the guy down a bit.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/933418024.html

~

Michael

SXV 550
Nov 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
LOOK AT THIS!

What a cool way to get into a new hobby on the cheap. No you are not going to win any races on it, but it is almost cheaper then buying a wheel kit for my 530, and I might be able to whittle the guy down a bit.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/933418024.html

~

Michael

Hey Mike, I had an 85 XT. Put 25,000 miles on it......Kid has it in pieces now...Great DS. THat town is in OREGON.............Good luck..Carl

montibank
Nov 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
THat town is in OREGON.............Good luck..Carl

Ya how kick arse would that be to train ride up there and ride it back!! Maybe I could find someone to make the return trip with me. I would post it on ADV rider that I was looking for an adventure buddy to ride back from there with.

I want to do long ADV rides, think of this as a "learning experience." Now if only I had $3k to burn...

~

Michael

branktm
Nov 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ya how kick arse would that be to train ride up there and ride it back!! Maybe I could find someone to make the return trip with me. I would post it on ADV rider that I was looking for an adventure buddy to ride back from there with.

I want to do long ADV rides, think of this as a "learning experience." Now if only I had $3k to burn...

~

Michael

im sure it does but make sure it has 7500 miles on it, dumbass california laws wont let you register a 49 state bike if it has less than 7500. but it being a 1988 not sure if that law applys to it?? i dunno that bike is cheaper than a wheel set for the 530, looks cool, im sure its a bitch to kick

montibank
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
im sure its a bitch to kick LOL and that is different from the 530 how?

~

Michael

branktm
Feb 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Theres a new motard on the market, we got it in today, what do you guys think, 2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Twin, 97 hp

Big Kahuna
Feb 10th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Theres a new motard on the market, we got it in today, what do you guys think, 2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Twin, 97 hpScrew that, we want real pictures not silly little corporate ones we can find on the Internet!!! :evilgrin0013:

branktm
Feb 10th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Screw that, we want real pictures not silly little corporate ones we can find on the Internet!!! :evilgrin0013:

haha alright alright im on it. give me a min

branktm
Feb 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Screw that, we want real pictures not silly little corporate ones we can find on the Internet!!! :evilgrin0013:

here they are

Big Kahuna
Feb 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
here they areWow, that thing looks pretty mean. What kind of costs are we talking about here?

seDUCtive
Feb 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Niiiccceeeee

ducbill996
Feb 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
it does look pretty sick but am i the only one that thinks it looks like the hypermotard?

SXV 550
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Have been waiting for them to get Stateside for almost 10 months now.....Have to go see one............I think they are a little on the porky side weight wise??.........Especially compared to my 550???????????

Just one Brandon on the floor????

SXV 550
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Mag testing says 409 dry weight.......Man that is 150 lbs heavier than my 550 and same size tires. Mag test said it is 92 HP instead of the Shiver 97?? That is only 16 more than mine..................around 10K..............i will keep mine...............

06smcya
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Well Carl, if there ever comes a day that you don't want yours, I'm sure I could make room for it somewhere... if I really had too... cuz that bike is just so slow and stuff... so sweet, jus so sweet. I miss riding with you and the guys.

branktm
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
it does look pretty sick but am i the only one that thinks it looks like the hypermotard?

its about the same weight and hp as the hypermotard, just carrys a cheaper price tag at 9599 vs couple grand more for the hyper

SXV 550
Feb 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Well Carl, if there ever comes a day that you don't want yours, I'm sure I could make room for it somewhere... if I really had too... cuz that bike is just so slow and stuff... so sweet, jus so sweet. I miss riding with you and the guys.

Jason, i miss the rides with you too.......Wish you were out there.....Hey grab dads bike and take a break??? I will keep my APrilia for a while yet. It is and amazing little piece of machinery.

I have a KTM EXC-R 530 DS now too. Been dual sporting it quite a bit lately.....There are a ton of dirt county roads between Raymond and Mariposa in that area......Did 160 miles yesterday with 3 others and 180 last week.........All old retired guys like me but can they ride......One was a desert racer, another was a PRO dirt flat track racer and the guy yesterday i just met was faster than them.........ON dirt that is.....I am the last man in that group........Pavement i go faster than them and they let me lead but man can those old guys fly on a dirt road.....They have got it down, steer with the back brake and throttle and when they want to air it out, i can't even keep them in sight. Hope to ride with you soon.......I know, school and work?????????

montibank
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Good news and bad.

Getting a HUGE tax return this year +++
Wife wants to put in a back yard -
Truck just broke down today -
Guy that is going to sell me his used supermoto kit is motivated+
My wife will likely cut my balls off if she finds out (and she will) --
My 530 is due for a top end rebuild -

Still keeping my fingers crossed to have a sumo kit by this summer, but it isn't looking very promising. We shall see.

~

Michael

SXV 550
Feb 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Good news and bad.

Still keeping my fingers crossed to have a sumo kit by this summer, but it isn't looking very promising. We shall see.

~

Michael

I hope you get it worked out Michael.............Unless you are full sliding that 530 on pavement, getting and SM bike, you wont go much faster on street/mountain twisties. Just put a set of Avon Road Rider Street tires on your stock wheels and i am sure you will go as fast as you want. Then swap rubber to knobs for dirt?????.......Unless you are a pro You won't need the 17 inch and wide rubber. I am thinking of taking my dirt bike out with the sport riders soon. Doing powerhouse and such roads. I can corner as fast as i want with it.........Ride that DS tire to the edge on the front and any faster would scare the crap out of me. It won't explode from the corner like my APrilia will and on the sharpest of curves i think i corner as fast with my dirt bike on DS tires even? I could be wrong. Unless you are pushing/sliding the front DS tire on dry pavement then the 21 inch street rubber will PROBABLY stop that..........If you are sliding the front wheel, then i would say you need 17 inch rubber......... Just a thought and only a set of tires for cost.........Don't let anyone kid you...........THat 530 on the right road and ridden well will take a really good rider on a 600 to get away from you if at all.........Of course when road straightens up and they go 120 but that isn't what it is all about. As you know to go fast on a bike it is ALL about cornering speed. I put the Road RIders on my Adventure 990 and took the DS tires off. I really like them. Same size as our KTM 530.......

Just a thought and my 2 cents worth.........?????????? Good luck whatever you decide to do??????.........Carl

Daytona_Rider
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Good news and bad.

~

Michael

Your bike needs a top end already? :weirdface: How many miles did you get out of it? Seems soon, but I don't know...

Cheers
DR
:D

montibank
Feb 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Your bike needs a top end already? :weirdface: How many miles did you get out of it? Seems soon, but I don't know...

Cheers
DR
:D

Well.... 165 hours as of today I am way overdue for a top end really when most bikes are getting them (at least comparable dirtbikes) @50~60 hours. I have 5500 miles on it, but I plan on putting another 1000 on it before I do the work unless I start hearing funny noises. I am terrified of scattering the piston if it gets a little too loose. I told you I wish I got a Xchallenge!

Got the wrong bike for the job. :|

I hope you get it worked out Michael.............Unless you are full sliding that 530 on pavement, getting and SM bike, you wont go much faster on street/mountain twisties. Just put a set of Avon Road Rider Street tires on your stock wheels and i am sure you will go as fast as you want. Then swap rubber to knobs for dirt?????.......Unless you are a pro You won't need the 17 inch and wide rubber. I am thinking of taking my dirt bike out with the sport riders soon. Doing powerhouse and such roads. I can corner as fast as i want with it.........Ride that DS tire to the edge on the front and any faster would scare the crap out of me. It won't explode from the corner like my APrilia will and on the sharpest of curves i think i corner as fast with my dirt bike on DS tires even? I could be wrong. Unless you are pushing/sliding the front DS tire on dry pavement then the 21 inch street rubber will PROBABLY stop that..........If you are sliding the front wheel, then i would say you need 17 inch rubber......... Just a thought and only a set of tires for cost.........Don't let anyone kid you...........THat 530 on the right road and ridden well will take a really good rider on a 600 to get away from you if at all.........Of course when road straightens up and they go 120 but that isn't what it is all about. As you know to go fast on a bike it is ALL about cornering speed. I put the Road RIders on my Adventure 990 and took the DS tires off. I really like them. Same size as our KTM 530.......

Just a thought and my 2 cents worth.........?????????? Good luck whatever you decide to do??????.........Carl

I have washed the front a few times, scares the crap out of me, and I went down once. The rear that I would be buying would have a cush hub in it so it would be a little nicer on the gearbox/crank. Really I just want to give it a go on a bike I own. If I don't like it I can likely sell them for darn near what I buy em for.

~

Michael

tarmacter
Feb 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I think Carl makes a good point.

I can't outride a dualsport, JUST because I have sticky 17's. The true potential of the 17's comes alive only once you break traction and start riding true SUMO. Firm up the suspension a bit, and the dual sports will hang with the SUMO's no problem....and then leave them for dead in the dirt.

I am seriously considering selling my bike...and replacing it with a 530/510(or maybe an X-Challenge) along with somthing like a Hyper/KTM Adv/BMW GS.........(read: somthing the wife could actually sign off on).

montibank
Mar 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
If the state finally releases my tax return (said they started Friday http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tax-refunds7-2009mar07,0,1633884.story) would anyone be interested in a SUMO ride next weekend. Don't make any grand plans fer me, im just testing the waters a bit.

~

Michael

montibank
Mar 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
kk got it... here are the spoilers:

http://www.pacificpectin.com/dsrider/gallery/index.php?album=monti-random-crap&image=DSC00044.JPG

Sooo when is this group ridin? I need yall to show me how it's done.

~

Michael

SXV 550
Mar 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
kk got it... here are the spoilers:

[url]http://www.pacificpectin.com/dsrider/gallery/index.php?
Sooo when is this group ridin? I need yall to show me how it's done.

~

Michael

Good for you Michael. Will have to get Ducbill on his Husky 510SMR, Tarmacter, Shazaam, Aprilia Joe, you and I and give it a go............ANd anyone else who wants to ride Sumo??????? Ive ridden with all but you. Bill, Josh and Jeff can ride faster than i want to go most times.......I may not be able to even keep up with you but have NO PROBLEM bringing up rear..........As you won't be waiting long.........Now dirt i am real slow..................Let us know when you want to ride and will try to set up a ride????????

Carl

06smcya
Mar 16th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Good for you Michael. Will have to get Ducbill on his Husky 510SMR, Tarmacter, Shazaam, Aprilia Joe, you and I and give it a go............ANd anyone else who wants to ride Sumo??????? Ive ridden with all but you. Bill, Josh and Jeff can ride faster than i want to go most times.......I may not be able to even keep up with you but have NO PROBLEM bringing up rear..........As you won't be waiting long.........Now dirt i am real slow..................Let us know when you want to ride and will try to set up a ride????????

Carl

Don't let this guy fool you! Carl can hang with just about anyone. Only time I ever saw the guy was when he slowed down to stretch a bit, and then again at the next stop sign... My KTM had a therapy session after that ride.:D

montibank
Mar 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hummm what are yall doing March 30th or March 31st? Anyone up for a mid-day run? I have to be home both days no later than 1700 but I may have all day both days to SUMO.

~

Michael

SXV 550
Mar 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hummm what are yall doing March 30th or March 31st? Anyone up for a mid-day run? I have to be home both days no later than 1700 but I may have all day both days to SUMO.

~

Michael

I answered you PMs. I am down to go............

training_wheelz
Mar 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM

~

Michael

I wanna tag along too, if you all will let me? Any ride details? Are you going to post up a ride? I've ridden with Carl before, but I'm not as fast as he is.

SXV 550
Mar 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I wanna tag along too, if you all will let me? Any ride details? Are you going to post up a ride? I've ridden with Carl before, but I'm not as fast as he is.

Sure Raul you are welcome.........I told Montibanks when he was sure next week to post in the RIDE and RIDE REPORT as NO one reactivates this old thread once off the front page, where a RIDE thread is more easily found. So hopefully we can get several riders out. I can ride all day Sunday the 30th but only half day monday......Which is fine if we leave earlier and i can just head home for my 2pm appointment.

Hope to ride again with you Raul and you are fast enough.........

Carl

montibank
Mar 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Carl.. I am so cornfused.

The 30th is monday. The 31st is Tuesday. Due to some interesting politics I have the 31st off for Cesar Chaves day (gotta love state jobs) and requested monday the 30th off. The 28th - 29th I think I will be playing with the knobbies mounted if all goes well.

Either Monday 3/30 or Tuesday 3/31 before 1700 works for me.

~

Michael

SXV 550
Mar 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Carl.. I am so cornfused.

The 30th is monday. The 31st is Tuesday. Due to some interesting politics I have the 31st off for Cesar Chaves day (gotta love state jobs) and requested monday the 30th off. The 28th - 29th I think I will be playing with the knobbies mounted if all goes well.

Either Monday 3/30 or Tuesday 3/31 before 1700 works for me.

~

Michael

Michael.....Appologies for my lame a$$ reply:confused2: YES, MONDAY/TUESDAY are the correct days............I can do half day+ on TUESDAY and turn back and ride all day MONDAY. I caused the confusion throwing that SUNDAY in there........Your original post was clear.......Senior moment:o Post up later the meet place/time and those off those days can ride............

Carl

training_wheelz
Mar 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm out, didn't check the calender and assumed it was a weekend ride. Gotta work weekdays so I can play on the weekends.

montibank
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Well .... Pozo isnt that weekend now, we could do it that weekend sometime.

Plenty of time to plan it. Lets see who all can make it. I'll post a poll for an event that weekend. Who is heading this train is there an official leader to this group? This will be my first "SUMO" ride I prollly aught not lead, Assume I will be the slowest in the group ( I usually am offroad! )

Poll Here (http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4226)

~

Michael

montibank
Mar 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Well i found a new toy... Social Groups

I know ... I know...

I go a bit overboard sometimes with the nerdy stuff, I sent yall invites for a supermoto social group.

The reason: Uhhmmm ... Its there? No seriously, the only way to see at a glance who all has a sumo is to log into this long arse post and read all the names. Well folks not anymore! Now (er well soon at least) you can browse to anyone that has signed into the Sumo social group and likely there is some "spam all" function that allows you to message everyone in the group that something sumo related is coming up. Won't hurt my feelings if ya'll don't join, but no whining if a ride comes up that you miss cause ya didn't sign up.

~

Michael