PDA

View Full Version : TrackDaz Academy 8/22-8/23

poach
Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
http://trackdaz.com/ti/trackdaz/index.html

Anybody want to be a faster, more proficient track rider?

mrlopez
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
No not really we rather keep crashing on the streets :evilgrin0013:

Ok you know I am just kidding :rolleyes:

PRTSMN
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
That sounds awesome Chris. Not sure if i can get my @$$ in gear to get all the rquirments before hand but will defintatly try..

GsxR1000Ryda
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
No not really we rather keep crashing on the streets :evilgrin0013:

Ok you know I am just kidding :rolleyes:

o yes, crashing in the streets is where its AT!!!!

i would love to attend a track day academy but i have a lot things on my plate i need to take care of first

JonJon
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
That sounds like so much fun, and just what I need to get started track riding. Really wish i could get those days off.

kidmoua
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
..only if I get to ride bit-ch with Chris on his bike

poach
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
It's worth trying to make it out guys. I posted these comments before, but I'll post up again in case somebody new hasn't seen them...

Woot! Great time, school run very well, effective and efficient, great coordination between instructors, great choice of topics and good instruction, support staff and corner workers top notch. Excellent take-aways, everyone very friendly and helpful. A+ and recommended. Back tomorrow for regular track day with them. Streets of Willow is a great course, technical and fun.

Ok, got back home from the event and figured I get my first post out of the way on here....

Anyway, the even was GREAT!
Thanks to all the guys that helped make it a way good experience!!!

This was my first track experience and must say it is for sure the way to go to get some knowledge on the track, instructors did a great job explaining things and drills were very helpful. I especially liked the help on the track following some of the gurus to show the proper line and technique!

Very highly recommend to anyone that is interested in a track day!!!

Trackdaz Academy Report:

It was pretty awesome and I can definitely say that its something that can be very valueable to a nood to the track and someone that is looking to improve their riding. The class is broken into four groups and each instructor teaches the fundamentals. The four teams are the following: Blue, Green, Red, and Black. IIRC the classroom sections are broken down into the following four: Body Positioning, Visualiztion, Proper Cornering(Braking Point, Turn-in, Apex, and Exit,) and the common mistake of Coming in Too Hot/Too Early.

Depending on your color/team, you are assigned one of the instructors that teaches one of the four previously mention techniques. Once the 20 minute class session is complete, you go out for a ride. The ride is a 20 minute session that lets you practice what you've just learned. The instructors are out there riding with you giving you feedback with thumbs up and follow the leader. After the ride you go back with your instructor for a debrief. After your third session with an instructor you break for an hour long lunch. After lunch, you have your final in class instruction and shortly after your riding again. Once you've completed all four instructional segments, you meet back with your original coach(in my case in was Dustin) and piece everything together(on the track.) After all the learning is accomplished, its basically an open track. You can go on and come off as many times as you please. The instructors are still out there riding with you which is great. After each session you can ask for advice on how to improve your lines, body positioning, etc.

The instrustors were great and since this was the first Academy Trackdaz threw, it was definitely a success. Dustin and his team did a wonderful job of putting together an awesome learning experience. They gave great feedback and were very informative with their instruction. If I can give any advice to anyone that is looking to get into track riding and looking to improve their riding overall, I would definitely suggest attending their Academy. Ohh yeah, at the end of the day I even got my first knee down at the bowl! I went from riding from an extremely apprehensive mindset to having confidence in my bike, the lines I chose, my tires, and the knowledge I just learned. Not to mention the free grips I got, this Academy was great. Awesome job Dustin! I can safely say that I'm addicted to the track.

I started the day crippled by the cornering confidence issues I've had for years, and ended the day with the best riding I've done in my life. It was an awesome experience. I've decided I will stop my (already minimal) weekend canyon riding and instead try to do about a track day a month from now on.

I would like to thank the instructors and organizers of the day for setting this up and making it possible for track noobs such as yours truly to get out there. All four main instructors were great teachers... knowledgeable, easy to understand and never condescending.

There's more, but you get the idea.:D

kidmoua
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
I clicked on the link but I couldn't find the price. How mush is it and is it a 2 day course?

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Can you do just one day?

kidmoua
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
never mind..found the price

poach
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
$275 per day...and yes, doing one day only is recommended.

Unless of course you wanted to do the Academy on Sunday and then practice your spiffy new skills on Monday's normal track day.:)

kidmoua
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
ok, let me turn in my permission slip to the warden..I'll let you know how it goes

poach
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
You won't be sorry.;)

btw...I make boo boo. Fri&Sat is the Academy...Sun is the normal track day.

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
You won't be sorry.;)

btw...I make boo boo. Fri&Sat is the Academy...Sun is the normal track day.

How does a day at the Academy go? I definitely need to learn some stuff.

poach
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
We cover 4 critical aspects of the proficient operation of a motorcycle on the race track. Vision skills...Reference Points...Anatomy of a line...Attack body position. Riders are separated into 4 groups and follow a schedule from 9am until 2pm...Classroom--->on-track drills--->de-brief/chalk talk--->next classroom, etc...

From 2pm to 5pm riders are given the opportunity utilize and practice the materials they've been presented with in a more free flowing environment consisting of 20min on track sessions. During this time the 4 primary instructors and all instructor associates will be circulating the track providing support and any further instruction needed on a rider by rider basis.

Then y'all get a nifty framed picture of yourself using your new skills to rip it up out there.:)

GSXR888
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
We cover 4 critical aspects of the proficient operation of a motorcycle on the race track. Vision skills...Reference Points...Anatomy of a line...Attack body position. Riders are separated into 4 groups and follow a schedule from 9am until 2pm...Classroom--->on-track drills--->de-brief/chalk talk--->next classroom, etc...

From 2pm to 5pm riders are given the opportunity utilize and practice the materials they've been presented with in a more free flowing environment consisting of 20min on track sessions. During this time the 4 primary instructors and all instructor associates will be circulating the track providing support and any further instruction needed on a rider by rider basis.

Then y'all get a nifty framed picture of yourself using your new skills to rip it up out there.:)

Wow, right up my alley! Jeremy if you decide to do this, let me know maybe I can bum a ride up with you.:rolleyes:

kidmoua
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I went to go see the warden at work at lunch time and asked her. I also got her her favorite chicken sandwhich from Broilers. She just texted me and seems like we're leaning towards the, " Yes you can go if it will better your riding skill."

I also told her that Chris and his crew are putting on the class. She was like, "Chris with the green bike that rode with you guys at Thunderhill? He's fast and looks like a real racer. I like his bike."

poach
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
That's awsome Huoa(and of course Mrs Houa)! I really hope you can make it...spending less than a set of race DOT tires, a power commander, or a Ti exhaust system would cost for a solid foundation in the fundamentals is a great investment.:thumbsup:

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Wow, right up my alley! Jeremy if you decide to do this, let me know maybe I can bum a ride up with you.:rolleyes:

You're not doing Cal Superbike School then?

I'll see if I can get my permission slip signed for the Saturday session. Besides, I would like to have Chris show me where I'm all wrong! :)

Ready2Run
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM

I'll see if I can get my permission slip signed for the Saturday session. Besides, I would like to have Chris show me where I'm all wrong! :)

Permission Slip??:mad:

Calkidd
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Permission Slip??:mad:This is the bad thing about having the warden...errr...I mean wife on the same forum..:D

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Permission Slip??:mad:

This is the bad thing about having the warden...errr...I mean wife on the same forum..:D

:eek:

Ready2Run
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
This is the bad thing about having the warden...errr...I mean wife on the same forum..:D

If you only knew what he was talking about last night.......

I am not the warden, its more a parole officer. ;)

Calkidd
Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
If you only knew what he was talking about last night.......Oh, but would I..........sorry I am a little twisted like that.

aaw749r
Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm signed up for class on Saturday and track day on Sunday.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
Thanks for the lodown Chris!

GSXR888
Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM

Same here, gotta run it by the boss.:rolleyes:

A Ninja Boot
Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Good thing I pay the bills and balance the check book, or I would never be able to do anything. I am also glad my wife doesn't come on here.:)

GSXR888
Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Bah! Boss Lady said this one or Infineion..choose one :mad:

yoageallen
Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I will have to mull this one over a bit. Is it recommended for all levels? Just beginners?:confused2:

poach
Jul 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Technically, it's geared toward the entry level rider because the material we provide is based upon the fundamentals. But that's certainly not to say more experienced riders can't benefit.

After analyzing every "starfish" moment I've had over the last few years, it's very clear they happened because I forgot/mis-applied/ignored the fundamentals.

Does that make any sense? I walked into a buzz saw at the office this morning and I haven't even had my cup o joe yet.:pound:

poach
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I'm signed up for class on Saturday and track day on Sunday.

Ohhhhh man...we gonna have some funz!:dblthumb2:

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Technically, it's geared toward the entry level rider because the material we provide is based upon the fundamentals. But that's certainly not to say more experienced riders can't benefit.

Entry level track rider correct?

poach
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Entry level track rider correct?

Yes...absolutely! Thanks for catching that...

The rider must display a basic level of proficiency and be confident in his/her use of all operational controls. A low/medium pace canyon rider generally posseses these basic skills.

kidmoua
Jul 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I just need to work on my elbow drag. Can you guys help me on that Chris?:rolleyes:

poach
Jul 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I dragged elbow once...followed by my ear, then my ass, then it was kind of a jumble ear/ass/face/ear/ass/face...I think I even saw some blue sky in there too.

Can't say I recommend the experience.:D

kidmoua
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I dragged elbow once...followed by my ear, then my ass, then it was kind of a jumble ear/ass/face/ear/ass/face...I think I even saw some blue sky in there too.

sounds like good times

poach
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I was at a dead run before I even stopped sliding.

Can't say I recommend that procedure either.:pound:

poach
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Friday 8/22 has now been converted to a normal track day event.:thumbsup:

Blakester
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Friday 8/22 has now been converted to a normal track day event.:thumbsup:

That's what I am talking about, I need some practice at Streets before racing in the street series in oct and nov...:D Do we still get the WSMC discount even at streets or is that just good at Big willow.

poach
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
$100...see ya there!

Blakester
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM
$100...see ya there!

SWEET..:D HAHAHAHA, I didn't even realize it was only $100 for that day for everyone when I asked.

motobigboy
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
$100...see ya there!

:confused2: is it 100.00 or the 275.00 and is there a link for rules and reg's? i need to get trustworthy of my 1000.

Calkidd
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
:confused2: is it 100.00 or the 275.00 and is there a link for rules and reg's? i need to get trustworthy of my 1000.$100 for the track day or $275 for the class...

motobigboy
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
$100 for the track day or $275 for the class...

is there a link for rules and reg's? i looked threw the post and could'nt come up with one.

Calkidd
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
is there a link for rules and reg's? i looked threw the post and could'nt come up with one.As long as your bike is not a rolling piece of ***** it should pass tech. They look for things like, chain slack, throttle/clutch movement, firm brakes, plenty of tread on the tires, no antifreeze. They also make sure there are no leaks, broken parts or anything that might fall off.

I am assuming you are asking about the bike?

motobigboy
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
As long as your bike is not a rolling piece of ***** it should pass tech. They look for things like, chain slack, throttle/clutch movement, firm brakes, plenty of tread on the tires, no antifreeze. They also make sure there are no leaks, broken parts or anything that might fall off.

I am assuming you are asking about the bike?

yes, that and gear (one piece or two) also do lights have to come off or just taped and does anything need to be wired down. also is this t hill, or b willow or local to fresno? and do guys ride their bike there or truck it? stuff like that.

poach
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
is there a link for rules and reg's? i looked threw the post and could'nt come up with one.

http://trackdaz.com/ti/trackdaz/info.html?id=33ir7RKa

This should provide some answers for you. Both the $100 track day and the $275 Academy are held at Streets of Willow near Rosamond, Ca. It's roughly 2.5hr from Frez, so from Dos Palos I guess about 3.5hrs or so? Riding your bike to the track is possible, but not recommended.

motobigboy
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM

thank you.

Calkidd
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
yes, that and gear (one piece or two) also do lights have to come off or just taped and does anything need to be wired down. also is this t hill, or b willow or local to fresno? and do guys ride their bike there or truck it? stuff like that.Ok, well 1 or 2 piece suit will work just fine just as long as the 2 piece zips together. Most track clubs have different rules when it comes to taping up stuff. Check out this LINK (http://trackdaz.com/ti/trackdaz/info.html?id=fxSvmerX) for the track club putting on this event and it should answer all your questions.

Calkidd
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
You suck, I was posting up......

motobigboy
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM

:D:D:D thanks Calkidd.

poach
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM

...:D

kidmoua
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
is $100 just for the racers or is that for everybody..and what direction are you guys running on the 24th

poach
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Fri 8/22 $100 for all riders. TrackDaz runs SOW CW at all events..

kidmoua
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Fri 8/22 $100 for all riders. TrackDaz runs SOW CW at all events..

what about for the 24th

poach
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
CW all three days..

The difference between 8/22 and 8/24...$20

The difference between attending the Academy before the open track day(as opposed to after)...PRICELESS.;)

aaw749r
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've heard rumors that if you try to run the streets course CCW you will implode.

Devlausdan
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I've heard rumors that if you try to run the streets course CCW you will implode.

Ray, stop with all these new words!!! I've been following your post and everytime you post a word, I have to look it up in the dictionary.

Implode, egomaniac

kidmoua
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM
thanks for the infos Chris..

poach
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:10 PM
de nada...

That's spanish ya know.:D

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
de nada...

He doesn't... :evilgrin0013:

kidmoua
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
de nada...

do me look Mexican to you...

poach
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Oh, that's right...you have a problem with chile's.

Sorry to bring back painful memories.:D

kidmoua
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Oh, that's right...you have a problem with chile's.

Sorry to bring back painful memories.:D

speaking of chillies, I'm in the sh|t hole right now with my the wifey's laptop.. hope she dont mind the spunk

poach
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:23 PM
And a big "thank you" for that graphic image...:eek:

Devlausdan
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:24 PM
speaking of chillies, I'm in the sh|t hole right now with my the wifey's laptop.. hope she dont mind the spunk

Post that pic!!

Wile_E_Coyote
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM

Too many spicey foods again?

Devlausdan
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Too many spicey foods again?

Yeah.. he had rice.

kidmoua
Jul 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah.. he had rice.

If I were you I woudn't be talking.... my little 2 year old nephew can eat spicier food then you

Wile_E_Coyote
Aug 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm number 2 on the wait list for the 24th... :censored:

Bummer, I thought I gave myself enough time. Hopefully I get in.

aaw749r
Aug 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Ray, stop with all these new words!!! I've been following your post and everytime you post a word, I have to look it up in the dictionary.

Implode, egomaniac

Pardon me as I regurigitate my useless welth of nolege.

aaw749r
Aug 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Good Luck! It is gonna be so much fun!

Blakester
Aug 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM

There are 19spots left in the A group, you should just sign up there and I bet at that track you will be fine, besides I was there this past sat. and the B group was full and that track looked crowded, there were only like 15 of us in the A group and it was nice. But, you need to decide for yourself on that though, hope you are able to go. Or say screw it and save $20 and go on Fri the 22nd instead, there are alot of spots open there..:D

kidmoua
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM

werd..

I'm numba 3 :(

aaw749r
Aug 6th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Ride A and get a workout with Blakester & me.

poach
Aug 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yep, weekend SOW TrackDaz events are popular. Must be my stellar personality.:D

No offense Derik and Ray, but signing up for A group on a track one has never been to before can lead to problems, and possibly a diminished track day experience. But don't worry bro...I have a feeling you'll be seeing these boys in A group soon.:)

Ray...you're signed up in A right?

Blakester
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM

No offense Derik and Ray, but signing up for A group on a track one has never been to before can lead to problems, and possibly a diminished track day experience. But don't worry bro...I have a feeling you'll be seeing these boys in A group soon.:)

Ray...you're signed up in A right?

Your right, I guess not everyone has a Quig, Davenport and Tillery to follow around your first time there like I had this past weekend. I still remember my first time at Big Willow, I was so overwhelmed, now I love that track.

poach
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Your right, I guess not everyone has a Quig, Davenport and Tillery

They have me.:)

Wile_E_Coyote
Aug 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Werd. I'm not up for A yet.

And yep, I'm a loser and signed up late. Hopefully I'll get in, but I'm guessing I wont.

aaw749r
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, I am in A.

I was under the impression that Derik had been there befor. This will be my 4th time to this track and can put down descent lap (1.28-1.30). I'm also banking on learning and quickening from the Saturday Academy, as you had PROMISED Mr. Poach. My riding at Thunderhill was not my A-Game, no excuses, just not completely on top of it that day.

Definately, if you are not ready for A don't do it. Did it once at a new track and it was intimidating & frustrating.

poach
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'm also banking on learning and quickening from the Saturday Academy, as you had PROMISED Mr. Poach. .

All the tools you need to "quicken" will be placed before you in a concise, comprehensive, non-condescending format that has done wonders for others. YOUR part in the bargain is to accept, study and practice the techniques you'll be presented with.

Do this...and there isn't a doubt in my mind you'll get exactly what you want out of this curriculum.:thumbsup:

Blakester
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
They have me.:)

I wish I could have you..LOL Actually, I am really trying hard to do the trackday on the 22nd, I am racing at willow on the 17th and I hope to talk my wife letting me go the 22nd so I can get some practice in on Streets before the race there in Oct.

poach
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I wish I could have you..LOL

:confused2:

Wile_E_Coyote
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Yeah, that raised an eyebrow for me to. :pound:

Ready2Run
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM

His personal secretary didn't get the memo.

Calkidd
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
A group doesn't mean you are a bad @ss rider nor does signing up for A group make you a bad @ss rider.

Sign up for what ever makes you comfortable. I have ridden both A and B groups in the past. There have some A groups where it felt like a medium paced B group and some B groups that were pretty fast.

Don't get caught up in the egotistical idea that signing up in A group will make friends and influence people.

Wile_E_Coyote
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:07 PM
A group doesn't mean you are a bad @ss rider nor does signing up for A group make you a bad @ss rider.

Sign up for what ever makes you comfortable. I have ridden both A and B groups in the past. There have some A groups where it felt like a medium paced B group and some B groups that were pretty fast.

Don't get caught up in the egotistical idea that signing up in A group will make friends and influence people.

Calkidd
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I am not directing this at anyone here, but I have been thinking about this.

It appears some people sign up for certain groups because they seem to think it holds some type of prestige. Please don't take this wrong I am not singling anyone out or talking about anyone specific.

I guess what I am getting at is it can be dangerous to sign up for a group above your riding ability.

So how far is my foot in my mouth now?

Wile_E_Coyote
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Dunno if your foot is in your mouth, but I know that I don't belong in A yet.

aaw749r
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
All the tools you need to "quicken" will be placed before you in a concise, comprehensive, non-condescending format that has done wonders for others. YOUR part in the bargain is to accept, study and practice the techniques you'll be presented with.

Do this...and there isn't a doubt in my mind you'll get exactly what you want out of this curriculum.:thumbsup:

My mind will be a blank canvas. Lets hope that it is not coated with teflon on this particular day.:weirdface:

aaw749r
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Not thinking that at all. Everyone needs to be safe and ride where they are comfy.

aaw749r
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I am not directing this at anyone here, but I have been thinking about this.

It appears some people sign up for certain groups because they seem to think it holds some type of prestige. Please don't take this wrong I am not singling anyone out or talking about anyone specific.

I guess what I am getting at is it can be dangerous to sign up for a group above your riding ability.

So how far is my foot in my mouth now?

No foot in mouth.
I completely agree.

kidmoua
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
...I still hope I can get in... and I'm slow so I sign up for B

poach
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
His personal secretary didn't get the memo.

After seeing your marks(wo)manship..I'd be skeered to fire you too.:)

Blakester
Aug 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM

I signed up in A group cause I am cool and I wanted people to think I am fast, that is all..LOL