PDA

View Full Version : How many pumps

SOUN1
Jul 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
does it take to bleed the front brakes. I did the rear in less then 5 min. I tried the front and I'm at it for 30 + min. and still nothing. I know theres air in the line because I can't get a constant fluid flow.

UFO
Jul 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
does it take to bleed the front brakes. I did the rear in less then 5 min. I tried the front and I'm at it for 30 + min. and still nothing. I know theres air in the line because I can't get a constant fluid flow.

Heres a trick, put a bleeder hose on your bleeder screw "clear works best". crack the bleeder screw, make sure you have plenty of fluid in the master, stand back and have a beer while the fluid does the job. They will gravity bleed just fine. I'll pm you my cell if you have any ?

zpyro
Jul 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
the way I was taught was to use a clear plastic tube on the bleeder screw, into a container with just a bit of fluid in it, and bleed into that. helps keep air from being sucked back in through the bleeder if you mess up and don't close it before letting off the brake lever, and the clear tube lets you see if there's any air still coming out

Calkidd
Jul 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
does it take to bleed the front brakes. I did the rear in less then 5 min. I tried the front and I'm at it for 30 + min. and still nothing. I know theres air in the line because I can't get a constant fluid flow.Or get this...MityVac (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38053)

CRASH972
Jul 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I use a vacume bleeder.
Some systems you might have to back bleed.

SOUN1
Jul 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'm was just going at it again, still nothing...It's too hot for this *****..I'll try again later when it's cooler and I calm down..If it's not 1 thing it's an other..

MadKaw
Jul 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM
was your reservoir emptied out for some reason? If so you may have air in the master cylinder.

A little trick to bleed/prime the master cylinder is to quickly flutter your brake lever back and forth, only moving it about an inch. This quickly bleeds out the air in the master and primes it.

hippylong
Jul 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
i find putting a clear hose from bleeder bib into liquid works every time.
and pump away.
I leave wrench on bleeder and put hose on end..
little pumps like madkaw said..
big pumps can push yer plunger to a place it's never been.
and find wear on plunger causes poss leakage.

you've inspired me to do mine .
nothing better than new brake fluid..
cept new pads and rotors...

btw anybody have any steel lines ava for a old gsxr?

Hipp

CRASH972
Jul 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Soun did you get your brakes working?
Do you need some help?

SF Boyz
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I'm sure soun knows how to bleed brakes. If you have replaced the lever,(doesn't matter if it's an oem replacement of some shortys) check the lever pin hole. Many aftermarket levers where they have drilled the pin hole (in the lever) are too deep causing a spungy brake response. No matter how you bleed it, it will always be the same. This million dollar tip is only applicable if you know forsure that there is no air in the system and master cylinder is not defective.

ducbill996
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm sure soun knows how to bleed brakes.

soun is the one who started this thread.... so i'm pretty sure he is having trouble....

SF Boyz
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
True, but maybe he just needed a little re-assurance?? I know sometimes I overlook something when fustration kick in.

SeanK559
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Double check your manual, had this problem on my bike, was driving me crazy, turns out there were 2 bleed screws for the front, and I needed to start by bleeding the other one. :confused2:

SOUN1
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Finally got it working, I like to thank everyone for their input.

SeanK559
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Finally got it working, I like to thank everyone for their input.

So how did you finally get it to work? Or was it just one of those keep trying til it works things?

SOUN1
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I took every1's sugestion into account, stood back relax came back to the forum and SF BOYZ comment hit the spot..Now I got to work on the brake light, put on my "MUT" body work and get it ready for LAGUNA but it will be a tight sqeez..I'm also preparing the 10 also..Ending up painting it all black, NO GREEN:(..THANK YOU to every1 for their input on the matter and helping offers..

SF Boyz
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I took every1's sugestion into account, stood back relax came back to the forum and SF BOYZ comment hit the spot..Now I got to work on the brake light, put on my "MUT" body work and get it ready for LAGUNA but it will be a tight sqeez..I'm also preparing the 10 also..Ending up painting it all black, NO GREEN:(..THANK YOU to every1 for their input on the matter and helping offers..

lol, crazy huh. Glad I can help. See you at laguna.

Big Kahuna
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I had the same problem bleeding the 1000RR. I could not get the fronts to firm up. Then I noticed the little bleeder valve on the master cylinder up top. I don't have one of those on the 900. :) Bleed that out and everything firmed up quickly... I mean EVERYTHING.... :evilgrin0013:

Sprocket
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
CHeap vacuum pump = syringe. I have a bunch of 6cc syringe's is anyone needs one