PDA

View Full Version : New to dual sport

SteveBFirebolt
Jun 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 93 Honda xr650l and I am looking to start doing trails and fire roads. I am new too off roading and hoping I can ride with other off roaders and get tips and advice. Also where is the best place to start riding? I live in Fresno and want to start going off road.

Thanks!

Steve :evilgrin0013:

McLuvin_R1
Jun 5th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 93 Honda xr650l and I am looking to start doing trails and fire roads. I am new too off roading and hoping I can ride with other off roaders and get tips and advice. Also where is the best place to start riding? I live in Fresno and want to start going off road.

Thanks!

Welcome, I am the admin here. Glad to have you.

Just kidding.

montibank
Jun 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks!

<- Dualsports I own, if it doesnt have knobbies and a plate I dont need it :p

Welcome.... Doubt you will find better "dualsport" riding ares around. California has some killer terrian. Plently of DS riders like myslef here, but you need to git registered on www.advrider.com and keep your eye on the "west" threads.

Just sold my DR 650 and picked up the KTM 950. Regret it a little but it was a nessisary change. Hoping to ride this weekend no set plans yet.

All the "good" high elevation trails (strawberry lakes, brewer, coyote elevation 5000'+ etc etc.) open 6/15 or later so getting above the heat this weekend isnt likely.

SteveBFirebolt
Jun 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Awesome! I will make an account right now. I am defiantly down to ride this weekend if your free. Been really itching to try some fire roads and trails.

GsxR1000Ryda
Jun 6th, 2013, 09:19 AM
That street stuff is fun and all but dirt is where is at. Ive been riding a lot up at Miami trails and recently rode at Whiskey Falls. Both places are very fun with everything from easy fire roads to tight technical single track stuff. Stay posted, there will be rides posted here in the near future.

montibank
Jun 6th, 2013, 12:07 PM
BMW shop ride is Saturday ... But that will be primarily slab. Some dirt maybe, but mostly slab.

montibank
Jun 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Looking into the possability of anything worth while up here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/stanislaus/maps-pubs/?cid=FSM91_057724&width=full

Called the ranger district office she said "all our trails are open". Now its a matter of would they be fun, and are there enough of them. :p

SOUN1
Jun 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Next weekend or the weekend after that, I should beable to hit the trails and discover new ones..
I think Will is setting up the POZO ride too :popcorn::evilgrin0013:

GreeNug
Jun 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Called the ranger district office she said "all our trails are open". Now its a matter of would they be fun, and are there enough of them. :p

I think any trail can be fun as long as its open. If there isn't enough of them we can always ride em twice :D

I like exploring a new area, let's go! Green sticker bikes okay there or am I prepping the husky?

montibank
Jun 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Next weekend or the weekend after that, I should beable to hit the trails and discover new ones..
I think Will is setting up the POZO ride too :popcorn::evilgrin0013:

I remember one trail in pozo that I would not tackle in the 950, and would be willing to break myself trying on the 530 from what I saw of pozo.

Totally 950-able. Wont say I wouldnt drop it or that I can do it all WFO, but absolutely would be willing to try it.

I think any trail can be fun as long as its open. If there isn't enough of them we can always ride em twice :D

I like exploring a new area, let's go! Green sticker bikes okay there or am I prepping the husky?

Plated likely - I am a little worried it might be a lot of fire roads... Take a look at the maps I posted above.