PDA

View Full Version : Fork Seals

chromefonica
May 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Anybody else think I need new fork seals? Lol. Is there anybody on here that would help me change mine. I've never done it and not sure I have all of the proper tools. 20405

Sticka
May 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I have all of the tools for street bike forks...not sure about dirty ones.

Check on youtube for some how to videos and let me know if you want to come by the shop and give it a try.

chromefonica
May 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM

Check on youtube for some how to videos and let me know if you want to come by the shop and give it a try.

I have looked up videos. The main things that I don't have are a vice and a seal driver

SHLEPY
May 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Chrome try this first

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/60/seal_mate_fork_seal_cleaner/

its worth a try.

McKay
May 30th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Ill help, never done a motorcycle before but done plenty of airliners struts.
I have the dirt chaser Shlepy is suggesting too.

Handyman
May 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM
u really don't need a vise, bust everything loose before you take the tubes out of the triple clamps. and for a seal driver go to home depot or Lowes and grab a small piece of PVC pipe that will fit over the forks... i want to say a 2 or 3 in inside diameter....it may be 4in (not sure about dirt forks) but if you want a seal driver CG has them for $50-$70

JollyGQ
May 30th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Look up Brett @ Inside Line in Clovis. All he does is dirt suspension...and some street. That's if you wanna pay someone to do em for ya. He rebuilt my forks for my SV.

chugs
May 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
u really don't need a vise, bust everything loose before you take the tubes out of the triple clamps. and for a seal driver go to home depot or Lowes and grab a small piece of PVC pipe that will fit over the forks... i want to say a 2 or 3 in inside diameter....it may be 4in (not sure about dirt forks) but if you want a seal driver CG has them for $50-$70

+2 you can easily diy if you got time.

Sticka
May 31st, 2012, 07:18 AM
I have looked up videos. The main things that I don't have are a vice and a seal driver

I have seal drivers. No vice though, but as mentioned you can break the caps loose before removing the fork leg.

hippylong
May 31st, 2012, 07:58 AM

i agree ....
also..
dirt forks are same as street ...
as far as i remember..
air tools help ...

chromefonica
May 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Chrome try this first

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/60/seal_mate_fork_seal_cleaner/

its worth a try.

This won't really help me. That little black ring at the bottom of my fork tube is actually a piece of my fork seal, lol. So no more riding until I get these seals done.

This is true. All of the videos I watched said that you can break everything loose inside the triple.

chromefonica
May 31st, 2012, 09:14 AM
I have seal drivers. No vice though, but as mentioned you can break the caps loose before removing the fork leg.

I may have to borrow one soon

Sticka
May 31st, 2012, 09:45 AM
I may have to borrow one soon

No drama. :thumbsup:

Do you still have my number?

SHLEPY
May 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM
you sure thats the seal and not the dust cap.

Sticka
May 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM

The dust cap does not hold oil. If there is oil coming from the dust cap then the seal behind it is blown.

Edit: that pic is the bottom of the fork leg....no seal or dust cap there.

aaw749r
May 31st, 2012, 12:34 PM

Ian,

Do you have the tools to do Ohlins Road & Track forks? From what I understand they take different tools to disassemble the internals than the standard issue Nihon forks.

chromefonica
May 31st, 2012, 04:29 PM

Seal is definitely blown. All of my fork oil in my left fork leaked out into the bed of my truck.

Sticka
May 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Ian,

Do you have the tools to do Ohlins Road & Track forks? From what I understand they take different tools to disassemble the internals than the standard issue Nihon forks.

I have a spring compressor, damper bleed tool, Damper rod tool, seal drivers and fork oil syringe.
All work with Suzuki forks (and some others but I have only done Suzuki ones so far).
Is it is truley a "special tool" that is required exclusively for Ohlins, then no, I don't have it. :mad:

Edit: If they do exist and are not too expensive then I would consider buying them.....I do have a set of Ohlins on one of my TL's so chances are that I will use them one day.

junior
May 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
I have a spring compressor, damper bleed tool, Damper rod tool, seal drivers and fork oil syringe.
All work with Suzuki forks (and some others but I have only done Suzuki ones so far).
Is it is truley a "special tool" that is required exclusively for Ohlins, then no, I don't have it. :mad:

It's the socket looking thing with 4 pins. Ray Contact habu he has all the ohlins tools.

ModdedRaptor559
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
After u rebuild I would recommend u buy a fork support for transporting, if u don't already have one. It helps the seals last a heck of a lot longer.

chromefonica
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:38 AM
After u rebuild I would recommend u buy a fork support for transporting, if u don't already have one. It helps the seals last a heck of a lot longer.

I don't actually compress the suspension at all when I transport. My bike fits diagonally in the bed perfectly with the tailgate closed. The only reason I use straps is to keep it from falling left or right.

chromefonica
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM

Ian do you have the fork bullets also? Or do you just put tape on the end of the fork?

chromefonica
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Finally did my fork seals. Took me about 4 hours from start to finish. Mostly because I didn't know what the heck I was doing and kept going back to YouTube to work my way through it. I have a feeling that I didn't use enough fork oil because between the pair, I only used 1 container of fork oil. Oh well. At least if I have to do it again it will be considerably faster. 2053920540
All the old parts laid out. 20541
Completed seals. 20542
Happy bike. No leaks. 20543

chromefonica
Jun 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Ian and Ray thanks again for lending me the proper tools for this job

aaw749r
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ian and Ray thanks again for lending me the proper tools for this job

Don't tell everyone :D

Sticka
Jun 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM
^^^ What he said.
People may actually start to think that we are nice. Suckers!! :evilgrin0013:

Sticka
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Brandon, Are you done with those tools mate?

aaw749r
Jul 15th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Ohhhhhhhh Noooooooo !

I got mine back.