PDA

View Full Version : Dusy Ershim Trail?

freeriders98
Apr 21st, 2012, 08:46 PM
So coming from a 4x4 back onto a bike I am interested in running the 33 miles of Dusy!

Its one of the best 4x4 trails in CA. In a 4x4 rig they say 3-4 days to run the entire trail. My Samurai was not built enough to make the journey.

So I was wondering if any of you have done it on a bike and how long it would take to ride?

montibank
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
So coming from a 4x4 back onto a bike I am interested in running the 33 miles of Dusy!

Its one of the best 4x4 trails in CA. In a 4x4 rig they say 3-4 days to run the entire trail. My Samurai was not built enough to make the journey.

So I was wondering if any of you have done it on a bike and how long it would take to ride?

Was a goal of mine. Never done it. This would be the summer to git it done since there is so little snowfall. Do not underestimare it. I did swamp lake and rubicon as well as the first 1/2 to 3/4 of Rincon. It would be challenging on your WR to say the very least. I would suggest trying swamp lake first (not solo!) The only time I did swamp was a disaster ended up sleeping in the trail because I was seriously under prepared (mostly cause I am a fat lazy pig)

If you want to try swamp I am interested but I might go on my wifes trials bike :p

montibank
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Ps... Byron (up in smoke) is one (if not the) best enduro style (rock crawling) rider I know/have ridin with. Don't think he has tried it - but he would be a good person to ask.

You need to get out and ride some rock gardens before you take that on. It is gonna be gnarly.

freeriders98
Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:47 AM
Yeah I need to get better technically as a rider for sure. I want to ride Bald mountain and Red Lake. I wheeled both of those in my Samurai so I know what to expect.

And I need to get into some better shape for sure. I am in horrible shape and even worse riding shape hahahha

JonJon
Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
I would be willing to give it a go. Love me some rocks.

montibank
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah I need to get better technically as a rider for sure. I want to ride Bald mountain and Red Lake. I wheeled both of those in my Samurai so I know what to expect.

And I need to get into some better shape for sure. I am in horrible shape and even worse riding shape hahahha

Bald is cake compared to swamp on two wheels... Lemme know if/when you do bald, been a year since I was out there last. I need to do some recon up there, hoping to camp up there with the Mrs this summer for her to ride her TLR.

Tried to make it out the door this morning on a last minute ride with theses guys (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249462&page=687) but no luck

up in smoke
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
I'm down for Dusy this summer.

montibank
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm down for Dusy this summer.

Oh lord please no... We will end up sleeping out there. Im taking the tlr, a tent and enough food and beer for three nights.

up in smoke
Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Oh lord please no... We will end up sleeping out there. Im taking the tlr, a tent and enough food and beer for three nights.

I think it could be done in 1/2 day if I was in riding shape but plan on a full day. Or over night just so we could injoy the sights and some fishing?

freeriders98
Apr 22nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
So who ants to give me a tech rock garden ridding lesson?

CRASH972
Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Red
I might give that a go on the wr.

freeriders98
Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Looks like we got a group! Now we just need a date and I need some practice!

montibank
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Well ... May 28th campus is closed ... Was gonna do a track day on the 530 but not without someone to go with. Who else has the 28th off?

freeriders98
Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'll be working that day. And I think that might be a little early for me. I am thinking maybe end of the summer I should have a good handful of rides on the WR and be a little more comfortable in the rocks on it.

montibank
Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hah... i meant for bald or red.

Dusy isnt usually open till july because of some red salamander mating season.

freeriders98
Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
I have the next 2 saturdays off. I am planning on going somewhere on the 5th

SHLEPY
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
ok how gnarly are these trails-roads i may be down to take the 500 on this, is it a loop or one way type trail :confused2:

up in smoke
Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Well ... May 28th campus is closed ... Was gonna do a track day on the 530 but not without someone to go with. Who else has the 28th off?
in

chromefonica
Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
I would be down to take the RM up bald mountain sometime this summer. You think my tank holds enough gas to make the trip? I have run out of gas before and it isn't the most fun I've had.

freeriders98
Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
I've got an over size tank that should carry enough fuel for both of us. Just bring a small thing of oil and we'll dump gas in mix and your good!

montibank
Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
I would be down to take the RM up bald mountain sometime this summer. You think my tank holds enough gas to make the trip? I have run out of gas before and it isn't the most fun I've had.

Byron... Is bald a plated machine req. area?

I have more than enough gas for me - can pack more fuel in too. Just bring a backpack that you can hold a liter or two in and I have an ether bottle or two we can use.

chromefonica
Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM

I have more than enough gas for me - can pack more fuel in too. Just bring a backpack that you can hold a liter or two in and I have an ether bottle or two we can use.

Is it a plated ride? That would suck. The views look awesome. How wide is the trail? Maybe I will take my truck

freeriders98
Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
I don't think its a road that would require a plate. It is similar to swamp lake or something pretty sure.

GsxR1000Ryda
Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
If it's not plated I'd like to make this ride too. I would most likely have to carry some gas + oil as well. I recently picked up a spark arrestor and ready to put it in use.

montibank
Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'll find out and git back to ya all.

JonJon
Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
It's not a plated ride. I see people on xr100's and all kinds of bikes up there all the time.

So what's the plan? Ride up Bald on May 28th? I'd definitely be in for that.

freeriders98
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
How about a pre run on May 5th?

JonJon
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
How about a pre run on May 5th?

Depends on the time. I work Saturday's til about noon.

up in smoke
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM

remember we did bald mt, brewer and swamp 1 1/2 years ago? sv brady had a yz250f and didn't have any problems with not having a plated bike.

up in smoke
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.4wdcfresno.net/

SHLEPY
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Green-sticker vehicles (ATV's and dirt bikes) are allowed BUT after may 1 i think is the cut off for red sticker i may be wrong.

montibank
Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ahh ya wasnt sure about some of it... :)

So official word is I am riding May 28th, anything before that would be last minute and pure luck. Not sure where yet or on what type of rubber but it will have two wheels :p

chromefonica
Apr 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
It's not a plated ride. I see people on xr100's and all kinds of bikes up there all the time.

So what's the plan? Ride up Bald on May 28th? I'd definitely be in for that.

I stopped by the Forestry office yesterday. They said that bald mountain is not limited to types of vehicles. So OHV is good to go.

montibank
Apr 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Ok so I am broke as poo again... Long story. I will not be able to afford trucking up so will be on the DR with a fairly bald rear tire and a 6 year old front tire :) lilely to be other dualsporters going. Ride yer own pace obviously we will have to pick a meet up spot and time. Might suggest the dualsporters take a long route over stop for lunch somewhere and meet the guys trucking in then ride it.

Byron - I will call to coordinate witcha sometime soon.

chromefonica
Apr 28th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I hope I can go if you guys are planning to go to Bald on the 28th. That would be a blast!

freeriders98
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I should be able to swing bald on the 28th! And Mike I am either up to dual sport it up or if I have my little trailer up and going we can throw your bike on there.

montibank
Apr 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Damnit.... Familial obligations. I'm out for riding the 28th.

freeriders98
Apr 29th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Damnit.... Familial obligations. I'm out for riding the 28th.

LAME!!! I am riding next Saturday the 5th. Either Bald or Red Lake come with us.

montibank
Apr 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gotta pickup my mom from the airport in the morning and take her home (lemoore).

Not sure when I can next get out... Gotta start working on June... :)

McKay
Apr 29th, 2012, 09:38 PM
LAME!!! I am riding next Saturday the 5th. Either Bald or Red Lake come with us.

Garret any more info on the red lake ride?

And how are the boots?

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I'll start a thread for the red lake ride! I got to talk to my buddy, we'll probably take his truck up. And generally I like to leave early so I am not gone all day. But i'll post more up on it later today or tomorrow!

The boots are workin awesome!! Thanks for the killer deal on them!!!

McKay
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'll start a thread for the red lake ride! I got to talk to my buddy, we'll probably take his truck up. And generally I like to leave early so I am not gone all day. But i'll post more up on it later today or tomorrow!

The boots are workin awesome!! Thanks for the killer deal on them!!!

Cool, I may be interested in going if you can handle a newbie.

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Cool, I may be interested in going if you can handle a newbie.

I am just as much a newbie as the next guy! Should be fun!!!

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM
So it looks like Red Lake trail is closed until July. So probably Bald on the 5/5

montibank
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Man... :/ wanna ride.

Have fun ya'll

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Man... :/ wanna ride.

Have fun ya'll

Just come man!

montibank
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cant leave mom high and dry at the airport to got ride... She might get her feelings a little hurt.

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Send a taxi...

SHLEPY
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
lol brutal

SHLEPY
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
im down for that ride if ya want a one more tagging along.

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah I am game for anyone to come as long as you ride smart! I am not a fan of trying to pull people out of the hills all broken up and bloodied...

McKay
Apr 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah I am game for anyone to come as long as you ride smart! I am not a fan of trying to pull people out of the hills all broken up and bloodied...

Lol, riding smart doesnt neccessarly mean I wont bleed!
Any other options? Bald is a quick ride and very rocky.

SHLEPY
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Well ive been riding since i could throw a leg over a bike i my self dont like broken bones,stitches,large basketball size booboos and i am 40+ so im no speed demon so does that qualify as smart :D

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Lol, riding smart doesnt neccessarly mean I wont bleed!
Any other options? Bald is a quick ride and very rocky.

I am up for anywhere

freeriders98
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Well ive been riding since i could throw a leg over a bike i my self dont like broken bones,stitches,large basketball size booboos and i am 40+ so im no speed demon so does that qualify as smart :D

Sounds good! hahahaha I have just ridden with some people who are pin it and find out whats over that crest as they come off it at 50+ and see what happens...

SHLEPY
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
definately NOT me i just enjoy riding and meeting new people to ride with.

up in smoke
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
its all perception of speed:)

montibank
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Says the fastest rock crawler I have ever ridin with. I'm really bummed I'm not gitting out this month. Really feel like I'm letting folks down. This is the way it has been since my second was born, stuff to do every weekend. :/

chromefonica
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Says the fastest rock crawler I have ever ridin with. I'm really bummed I'm not gitting out this month. Really feel like I'm letting folks down. This is the way it has been since my second was born, stuff to do every weekend. :/

Exactly why I am not in much of a hurry to pop 'em out

montibank
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Yup. Git yer riding in now... Cause with little'uns ....It's all but over.

up in smoke
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
there is always some one better and faster than you. Unless your name is Stoner,Villopoto, knight or Blazusiak.

montibank
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM
there is always some one better and faster than you. Unless your name is Stoner,Villopoto, knight or Blazusiak.

Yep.

freeriders98
May 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
These type of Fuel bottles are awesome. Pricey but they will not leak! I have had several for my back packing stoves. Used them lots and have used them occasionally for bike fuel on long days.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=MSR+fuel+bottle

chromefonica
May 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
These type of Fuel bottles are awesome. Pricey but they will not leak! I have had several for my back packing stoves. Used them lots and have used them occasionally for bike fuel on long days.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=MSR+fuel+bottle

Those are pretty cool! I may have to pick some up

montibank
May 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Those are pretty cool! I may have to pick some up

Like I mentioned before have three ... Love em! Have 2 slightly lighter gauge freebies from work that dont leak bit stand up to a beating just a little less. Still great to have and free if you want two.

up in smoke
Jul 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Did ducy uphill on Sunday.

JonJon
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Did ducy uphill on Sunday.

How was it? Pretty dusty?

up in smoke
Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
How was it? Pretty dusty?

Did a solo trip so it wasn't to bad. It opened last Monday so it wasn't to toreup.

montibank
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Did a solo trip so it wasn't to bad. It opened last Monday so it wasn't to toreup.
Damn... It just opened? I am jealous though.

up in smoke
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Umm :D

montibank
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Heheh... Go ahead if'n ya wanna.

up in smoke
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Heheh... Go ahead if'n ya wanna.

Only if your in charge.

montibank
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Only if your in charge.

Hahah, Why do I gotta go down in flames when the poo hits the fan?

Fine I'll be in charge if you come over and tech inspect my bike the thursday before?

up in smoke
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Oh jezz. We are doing dusy on labor day weekend. Its a chalanging trail for expert riders. All is welcome to go as long as I don't have to take care of you.

montibank
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Oh jezz. We are doing dusy on labor day weekend. Its a chalanging trail for expert riders. All is welcome to go as long as I don't have to take care of you.

Aahahahaha.... See I knew you would state that better'n I could. So what did it for ya? Didn't want to be responsable for the "Krappy Trail Machine" breaking down?

Details:

Sunday - 9/2/2012
Departure Time: Early (To be announced, likely 0800 ish from trailhead, cause I wanna come back home before its pitch black out)
Estimated Duration: 8-12 hours (can be done in less, but lets plan conservatively eh?)
Trailhead Location: Right about here: http://goo.gl/maps/RsaOk (http://goo.gl/maps/RsaOk) (but will clarify this soon)

It appears there is a parking lot here: http://goo.gl/maps/rDjNS (no idea if a vehicle can be left here for how long)
The trail is one way (not a loop) you will need to figure out how to get back if yer machine doesn't have a plate.
Trail ends round about here: http://goo.gl/maps/q5Ev2

Gear: (at minimum, and every time I look at this list I think of another dozen or so items... See Byron's "Expert Level" disclaimer above)

Bring a tube (front can go in the rear, but not the reverse)
Bash plate - its rocky, did I mention that?
Tools yes, toolbox NO.

Bring enough to get the seat off, carb out, and change a tire. Any more than that and yer likely screwed anyhow.

Bring a hydration pack and some snacks

I have an extra hydration pack if you dont have one, not bringing it unless you ask in advance.

Bring cash - you may be able to buy water off the Jeepers, your results may vary.

Don't bet on it. Bring fluids (If you bring water it can go in your radiator if you start overheating a lot. Gatoraide doesn't do so well in modern 4 strokes)

Two gallons (four stroke) absolute minumum for fuel - but bring more.

Leave the aquiline 10.5 gallon tank (http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/fuel-tank-aqualine-safari-ktm-950-990lc8-40l.html) at home the 3.4 gallon will be fine.
Sorry its been too long since I have owned a two stroke - cant even begin to estmiate fuel consumption there.

Trail Info:

http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/review.htm#Location
The full trail is 30 miles I think.
Trail Map: http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/dusy.pdf
Area Map: http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/area.htm

ModdedRaptor559
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Wish I had a plated bike :mad:

freeriders98
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Pretty sure it doesn't need to be plated to run Dusy.

ModdedRaptor559
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Need a plate to get back to the start where my truck will be parked :D

freeriders98
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Oh I get what your saying. Point A to B on the trail, then B to A on the road.

chromefonica
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Oh I get what your saying. Point A to B on the trail, then B to A on the road.

Maybe monti could give you a ride on the back of his bike to go get the truck :D

freeriders98
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Monti would like that to much!

montibank
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe monti could give you a ride on the back of his bike to go get the truck :D

Ahahaha.... Giving "mildly uncomfortable" a whole new meaning.

up in smoke
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM

So what tires you gun a run?

ModdedRaptor559
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Dont worry ill hang on around your midsection and not around your waist ;)

Maybe when it cools off a bit we will have to hit up gorman... :D

montibank
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:31 PM
So what tires you gun a run?

Erm... You dont really want to know. But since you asked ... A 4 year old takeoff with 75% life left in it on the front and a 90% left in it D606 on the rear. If I could afford a new front I would - but since I can't im gonna run what I got.

Dont worry ill hang on around your midsection and not around your waist ;)

Maybe when it cools off a bit we will have to hit up gorman... :D

Gorman is fun - some really fun trails out back in the national forrest, but might be plating issue for some of the trail heads.

Here is a crappy cell phone video of a really fun one I shot two years (or more??) ago. I'd be down to hit this again for sure. Great times!

YouTube - Hungry Valley / Los Padros National Forrest - Trail 124 (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=193HPEfLQCA)

montibank
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:36 PM
UPDATES
Details:

Sunday - 9/2/2012
Departure Time: 0800 +/- 20 min.
Estimated Duration: 8-12 hours
Trailhead Location: Right about here: http://goo.gl/maps/RsaOk (http://goo.gl/maps/RsaOk)

It appears there is a parking lot here: http://goo.gl/maps/rDjNS (no idea if a vehicle can be left here for how long)
The trail is one way (not a loop) you will need to figure out how to get back if yer machine doesn't have a plate.
Trail ends round about here: http://goo.gl/maps/q5Ev2

Gear: (at minimum, and every time I look at this list I think of another dozen or so items... See Byron's "Expert Level" disclaimer above)

Bring a tube (front can go in the rear, but not the reverse)
Bash plate - its rocky, did I mention that?
Tools yes, toolbox NO.

Bring enough to get the seat off, carb out, and change a tire. Any more than that and yer likely screwed anyhow.

Bring a hydration pack and some snacks

I have an extra hydration pack if you dont have one, not bringing it unless you ask in advance.

Bring cash - you may be able to buy water off the Jeepers, your results may vary.

Don't bet on it. Bring fluids (If you bring water it can go in your radiator if you start overheating a lot. Gatoraide doesn't do so well in modern 4 strokes)

Two gallons (four stroke) absolute minumum for fuel - but bring more.

Leave the aquiline 10.5 gallon tank (http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/fuel-tank-aqualine-safari-ktm-950-990lc8-40l.html) at home the 3.4 gallon will be fine.
Sorry its been too long since I have owned a two stroke - cant even begin to estmiate fuel consumption there.

Trail Info:

http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/review.htm#Location
The full trail is 30 miles I think.
Trail Map: http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/dusy.pdf
Area Map: http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/area.htm

If you don't let us know you are comming we won't know to wait up for you at the trailhead.

montibank
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Had fun - didn't complete but gonna try again as soon as I get Jezibel all patched back up.

And cause I am waaaaaaay too lazy to repost all this - partial ride report here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19512058&postcount=11021

and here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19513646&postcount=11023

and Byron has some video footage I think somewhere maybe...

And JB weld should have been essential required gear on the list above. I could have used about two more packs but one did the trick enough to get us back to Wishon Village.

JonJon
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I love the license plate mounted on the backpack. Looks like you guys had a great time, glad to hear you made it back in one piece! :thumbsup:

montibank
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Had fun... Bummed I didn't make it all the way due to breakdown, just going to have to try again soon.