PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your rear brake? (on the street)

seDUCtive
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Not trying to start a "thing" just wondering. The only time I use it is when I am rolling up to a stop sign or signal. But I know there are some people who don't use it at all.

Bonkers
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I really dont use mine that much at all .

Big Kahuna
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, I use the rear brake.

Backing in to the corner? I can do that without the rear brake.

poach
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
On the street I'd use it just like you. Straight line stopping only.

On the track, if my entry is too hot I'll feather it a bit to try to settle a rear tire that's hopping around. Other than that...never.

Well, not exactly never. On the rare occasions I find myself doing a lil dirtfarmin'...I use the rear brake EXCLUSIVELY.:D

PRTSMN
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
YEP I USE IT, SEEMS TO HELP WITH BALANCE AT A LIGHT

poach
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Guess I forced you to revise your title...sorry.:o

seDUCtive
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Guess I forced you to revise your title...sorry.:o

No, you made a really good point!!

kidmoua
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:45 AM
only on the street in a straight line

NinjaMBee
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I use my back brake for stopping at lights especially in heavy traffic, sometimes flashing it as to give warning to whomever is behind me...remember they cant tell ur downshifting...never been on the track..in msf school they tell ya to try using both brakes as much as possible :D

swankster
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Pretty much along the same lines as you, seDUCtive; however, being that I have inferior brakes, especially up front, I need the rear brake to, upon approach to a corner at higher speeds or coming in to Hot. That Harley, albeit light for an HD, still weighs around 475lbs. est. not including me, rider @ about 200lbs.:D
Swankster

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Sometimes. Mostly when doing straight line stops.

Calicronic
Jun 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I use it all the time...I don't go fast enough or lean over far enough for it to slide out on me...hahahaha:thumbsup::D

PRTSMN
Jun 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I use it all the time...I don't go fast enough or lean over far enough for it to slide out on me...hahahaha:thumbsup::D

Your bike is so low to the ground would'nt be that far down anyhow.:D

Daisy
Jun 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Coming up to a stop sign or light all the time. In the hills sometimes when I need to shave a couple of miles an hour off. But its a light gentle touch on it.

Calicronic
Jun 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Your bike is so low to the ground would'nt be that far down anyhow.:D

True!!!!

GSXR888
Jun 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
omg..I have a rear brake!?! :peanutbutterjellyti

CBR888

A Ninja Boot
Jun 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
yeah, I only use it when I am coming to a stop sign or stop light. With my new rearsets, my back brake is to sensitive. I even cut down the screw to lower my rear brake even more and still to sensitive.:z0tdntknw::z0tdntknw:

GusGus748s
Jun 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I use the rear brak a lot, but not all the time. I even use it when I'm leaned over, but that depends how fast I'm going:D

P.S. Ducs don't have rear brakes. The rear brake on Ducs is useless:p

Toecutter
Jun 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Almost all the time.

ABS = No fear.

When stopped, left foot down and right foot on or covering brake with bike in gear, until a car is stopped behind me. Then, I can relax a bit and watch ahead again.

Jester
Jun 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Both brakes. Easier on th e rear as it will lock on ya (but not on the FJR). About 70/30 normally. If stronger braking is called for, I try for 80/20.

J

GsxR1000Ryda
Jun 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I use my rear brake all the time to "back it in" a corner. hehehehehehehe

ducbill996
Jun 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
on the husky i'll use the rear brake to back it into corners (you should see the slide marks all through the neighborhood). on the duc's, usually never use the rear brake (unless i'm backen' it in):D

Megan
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Almost all the time.

ABS = No fear.

When stopped, left foot down and right foot on or covering brake with bike in gear, until a car is stopped behind me. Then, I can relax a bit and watch ahead again.

Ditto. I always use my back brake to start breaking, then slowly pull in the front. Gotta love that ABS in sudden stops. Had to use it the other day when a school bus decided to turn on it's red flashers.........at the apex of a blind curve on Auberry, as I was passing at @70mph. Than God the last day of scool is near. I run into that dam bus every morning and always get stuck behind it!:mad:

L2fly
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I use it quite a bit, habit from riding a lot of dirt in the past, I guess... at the CLASS, I tried to pin 'em down on whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, the feeling I got was they wanted the class to get comfortable enough to use it (they had a breaking drill where you were supposed to grab it) but not over use it... I know its limits, and haven't locked up the back (on the street) in years...

dtatum6
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Only to bring my 12' 0 Clock wheelies down. HA HA J/K

Sprocket
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I use it quite a bit, habit from riding a lot of dirt in the past, I guess... at the CLASS, I tried to pin 'em down on whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, the feeling I got was they wanted the class to get comfortable enough to use it (they had a breaking drill where you were supposed to grab it) but not over use it... I know its limits, and haven't locked up the back (on the street) in years...

Mine seems to lock up all the time LOL Good for tightening up wide turns ;)

A Ninja Boot
Jun 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Mine seems to lock up all the time LOL Good for tightening up wide turns ;)

You can adjust it so it takes more pressure to lock the rear up. On my old rearsets my rear tire wouldn't lock up at all if I just used rear brake. If I applied some front brake and then used my rear brake then I could lock up the rear tire.

PRTSMN
Jun 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM
You can adjust it so it takes more pressure to lock the rear up. On my old rearsets my rear tire wouldn't lock up at all if I just used rear brake. If I applied some front brake and then used my rear brake then I could lock up the rear tire.

ya know from the looks of it he probably is tryin to lock it up..:eek:

training_wheelz
Jun 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I use my back brake, came in handy going into a turn too hot.
Check out the braking in the video below.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vmeZ2DZINb4

Sprocket
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I use my back brake, came in handy going into a turn too hot.
Check out the braking in the video below.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vmeZ2DZINb4

Cool you found the video of me breaking in my budies new bike! :D

CRASH972
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I use my back brake a lot.
Don't think I've ever (back it in) in a corner.
Just not that good of a rider.

scout
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
When coming to a full stop, but not when adjusting speed.

ducbill996
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
i can't beleive i am the only one on here who will back into corners!:yawn::zzloser::D

kidmoua
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
i can't beleive i am the only one on here who will back into corners!:yawn::zzloser::D

thats because only Ducs comes with reverse

PRTSMN
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
thats because only Ducs comes with reverse

Now if it came with training wheels i'd be sold.:D

LDH
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
casual riding and playing yes, pushing hard and panic stops no as the back end is probably just above the pavement.

training_wheelz
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Now if it came with training wheels i'd be sold.:D

Did someone call me :confused2:

RetroBluetion
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Most of the time

swankster
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Most of the time

Dude! Nice bike, cannot wait to see it in person.
Swankster

Sprocket
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Dude! Nice bike, cannot wait to see it in person.
Swankster

Shes not a dude ;)

B Fug
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
here is a sick video of the new ktm rc8 I told a few people about at the meet n greet in Hanford. There are a couple shots where he is using his back brake just like the supermoto video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBQRQlww_E

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Shes not a dude ;)

Leave it to Sprocket to already know that... :D

A Ninja Boot
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Shes not a dude ;)

Dude can be used as a gender neutral word. Most of the time for women it would be Dudette.

Sprocket
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Leave it to Sprocket to already know that... :D
I can't help it, I'm just on top of things :cool:

A Ninja Boot
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I can't help it, I'm just on top of things :cool:

haha... on "top" of things! yeah! sure.:dblthumb2:

Sprocket
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
haha... on "top" of things! yeah! sure.:dblthumb2:

Haha! :ninja:

Loki
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I use the rear break for low speed manuevers, trail braking in a corner and straight line braking. Otherwise, no. I don't have to use the rear brake to back it into a turn.

sPAnKy1600
Jun 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM
"backing into" corners aint sayin much... thats how the bike slows down when you're haulin balls. now break loose just after your apex when you get on the trottle.... :Dthats what the FUN black marks on the road are.

:nana:

and yes i ALWAYS use both breaks
your back brake is just as important in a different way as your front

up in smoke
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
"backing into" corners aint sayin much... thats how the bike slows down when you're haulin balls. now break loose just after your apex when you get on the trottle.... :Dthats what the FUN black marks on the road are.

:nana:

and yes i ALWAYS use both breaks
your back brake is just as important in a different way as your front

you have no idea what your talking about. but, you do know more than i did at 19.

sPAnKy1600
Jun 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
you have no idea what your talking about. but, you do know more than i did at 19.

you saying when you break late into a corner your rear doesn't get squirrely?

ducbill996
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
i've let the back hang out on exits plenty of times as well... the 996 was great for that... lots of controllable low end power... trip 9 on the other hand is a lot harder to slide with the throttle, mainly cause the back of that bike stays planted, so you have to do something way wrong to get it to step out...( i've been known to do things way wrong though ):applause:

Ciner929
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Didn't know my Honda had a rear brake:confused2:

up in smoke
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
you saying when you break late into a corner your rear doesn't get squirrely?

no :confused: i dont know what your talking about:confused: i just cruzz the hills with my z:rolleyes: the only time i get squirrly is on my bmx bike.:cool:

sPAnKy1600
Jun 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
no :confused: i dont know what your talking about:confused: i just cruzz the hills with my z:rolleyes: the only time i get squirrly is on my bmx bike.:cool:

:pound:

ZX10Rob
Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hey tony why did you leave so early last night?

TheExeterGuy
Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
If you know how and when to use the back break it's great. It's really useful at slow speed when your being tecnical. Just remember to be gentle on it and higher speeds and very gentle it fast sharp turns.

Geoffj4
Aug 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Ill throw a rear brake in for control in the entry and mid corner to keep my line very light though - it helps in the dirt too to stay in the rut and keep the back tyre down. Aaaaaannd its not to bad to keep from looping a wheelie.

seDUCtive
Aug 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Ill throw a rear brake in for control in the entry and mid corner to keep my line very light though - it helps in the dirt too to stay in the rut and keep the back tyre down. Aaaaaannd its not to bad to keep from looping a wheelie.

Okay...where are you from with your "tyre" talk? :)

Sticka
Aug 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Okay...where are you from with your "tyre" talk? :)

That's the way it is supposed to be written. :D

Wile_E_Coyote
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Still is across the pond.

Sprocket
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
You want to see something funny? Tell a Brit he needs to learn English :evilgrin0013:

seDUCtive
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Next thing you know you are going to tell me it is "favourite" and "colour" :evilgrin0013::evilgrin0013:

CBR600RIDA
Aug 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
EVERYDAY

GsxR1000Ryda
Aug 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
If you wheelie, u better be using that rear brake.

Reg600
May 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I use both, but more of the front unless I need more to stop.

Stuntrdr943
May 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
If you wheelie, u better be using that rear brake.

i never use rear brake for my wheelies.

Mr Glow
Jul 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
i dont use the rear brake on the 250 at all. i wanna take it off =( WARNING!!! ALL STUFF AFTER THIS IS MY OWN OPINION. NOT SAYING IM RIGHT OR WRONG PLEASE DONT FLAME ME!! :flamethrower: anyways i think that sport bikes really have no weight in the back to make the back break seem usable. sure its good at low speeds but i feel that even with the lightest pressure of the back break causes the back wheel to lock and skid. like i said it imho.

liquidcocaine07
Jul 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
i use both at the same time except when i'm in a turn i'll feather the front only if i need to slow down during mid turn.

MikeinFresno
Jul 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I use it, use it much more for parking and slow riding. I think its 5% or so of the braking power available.

mar4gsxr
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
i use both sometimes but if i do use the back its like everyone else..comin up on a light. in the hills or turns..just the front maybe feather the back if im comin to hot before i get to the turn barely tho

WhiteHotGSXR
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
bought mine with a really ****ty rear rotor, i used it once. that was to lock the rear brake while enrolled in the sportbike riders course other then that never used it looking for a rotor(2003 GSXR 600).

SF Boyz
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
whats a rear brake????

Mr Glow
Jul 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
whats a rear brake????

:word:
YEA!!!! LOL!!!! bikes come with these!?!???

wildbear
Jul 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I use mine in quick or controled "panic stops" But then, my back and hack brakes have to be in sink. :confused2:

Devlausdan
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
i use both at the same time except when i'm in a turn i'll feather the front only if i need to slow down during mid turn.

I use it, use it much more for parking and slow riding. I think its 5% or so of the braking power available.

i use both sometimes but if i do use the back its like everyone else..comin up on a light. in the hills or turns..just the front maybe feather the back if im comin to hot before i get to the turn barely tho

I used to use it often on the streets in combination with my front brakes. But that develope into a bad habit because my first track day as I was bearing into turn 3 hot at BW, my bad habit cause me to lock up the rear and I high-sided and fawk up my bike. I've learn from that mistake, as we all should from our mistakes, and have nip that bad habit. No rear brakes while at the tracks. I'm sure I'll still use the rear when coming up to a red light.

kidmoua
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
No rear brakes while racing at the tracks.

you called that racing..??:pound:

Devlausdan
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM
you called that racing..??:pound:

:word:

What... you were only cruising? :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::mad2::hail::hail::pound::pound:

Stuntrdr943
Jul 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I like to use the rear brake to "back it in" :D

Mestizo
Aug 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM
99 times out of 100 I never touch the rear brake. I mostly use it when the road(or lack of) is so crapy that I would rather slide the rear than face plant the front.

koshi
Sep 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I use mine just to save my front pads a little, but also just when rolling to stops, usually never into turns. I'll use gears for that.

poach
Sep 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM
On the street I'd use it just like you. Straight line stopping only.

I'd like to revise my previous statement now that I'm riding a 600lb behemoth on public roads. On a recent trip over Ebbetts/Sonora passes I found, after much experimentation, that lightly dragging the rear brake while setting up for corner entry tends to upset the bike much less than front brake alone(yes, i know the brakes on this bike are linked, but it is what it is). I've a long way to go before I'll be able to integrate the technique properly "at speed" because old habits die hard, but I believe once I get it down cold it'll be a great tool for the ol tool kit.

Hey, we live...we learn.

rated_r1
Sep 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I use my rear brake in both straight lines and before going into a hott turn. I slightly tap it while in the hills before going into a turn. A few reasons, slow me down just a tad, as I dont know what's around the corner, and because my guys usually follow me, I assume tapping my brakes will let the next guy know a tight turn is coming. Like I said a slight tap..

montibank
Sep 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Yes. Knobbies don't hold on well, so I use em both on the road, the rear gingerly however. Just a little drag. To put it in perspective I am 1/3 the way in on my original brakes and I just replaced my front breaks for the second time. So very gentle on the rear, but consistantly.

Now offroad - I use it a whole lot, for setting up for turns and turning downhill to keep a line. Also great to tap it if the front gets a little loose, does that sound right? Any other dirt riders do the same when your front starts to wash? The alternative offroad is throttle, come to think of it, throttle usually works better.

~

Michael