PDA

View Full Version : To patch a tire or buy a new one?

darkle
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I let my bro borrow my bike today and he got a flat. So my question is what are your opinions and thoughts on tire repair. I just bought the tire about 400 miles ago.

Calkidd
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I would patch it.....You will have to do it yourself tho.

PRTSMN
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I let my bro borrow my bike today and he got a flat. So my question is what are your opinions and thoughts on tire repair. I just bought the tire about 400 miles ago.

ray could mount/dis mount. Bryan is right i don't think youll find ashop to do it.

SOUN1
Jun 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Go and get a tire plug kit at Auto Zone/ Kragen and do it your self..

Sprocket
Jun 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Go and get a tire plug kit at Auto Zone/ Kragen and do it your self..

Plugs are only a temporary fix. They need to be patched from the inside.

Jester
Jun 5th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I think your bro owes you a tire.

I'm just curious. Front or rear. I always get insurance (from Cycle Gear) on my rear but never my front. All the flats I've ever gotten have been in the rear tire.

J

kidmoua
Jun 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
If it's just like patching a car tire then I can probably do it if you take it off the wheel.

Ciner929
Jun 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
There is a reason why shops won't patch or plug....ITS DANGEROUS!!!!
You only have 2 tires, you are compromising 50% of your ride....
If you do decide to repair it, Please be careful!!

aaw749r
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
There is a reason why shops won't patch or plug....ITS DANGEROUS!!!!
You only have 2 tires, you are compromising 50% of your ride....
If you do decide to repair it, Please be careful!!

I will R & R it for you but I will not touch the patch. What you do with the tire between the R and the R is your responsibility. I do not want that liability. $150 is cheap insurance for your safety. Even cheaper if your brother kicks in half of the tire like he should.

If ther is any chord damage or if the tire was riden for any distance with little to no air in it the tire is junk I will not reinstall it. Cuss at me all you want but I do not want to see anyone get hurt.

I have a Dunlop Sport Max Qualifier 190/50 in the shop with 2K very easy highway miles on it that I'm selling for $75. A local shop which will remain nameless installed it on my buddie's sport touring bike just befor he rode to the WSB races at Miller Motorsport last weekend and back to find that - wow, this is not a comperable tire as to what the factory installed. Fortunately they were able to meet him half way on the correct tire.

kidmoua
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
it is cheaper to buy a new tire then buying a new bike and paying medical bills if that tire happens to give up while you're cruising down the freeway

darkle
Jun 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
There goes my weekend ride out the window. :hitfan: I'm just gonna get a new tire.

Jester
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
There goes my weekend ride out the window. :hitfan: I'm just gonna get a new tire.

Good move!

I think Ray is being too nice by suggesting 50%. 400 miles is brand new! He should pony up at least 90% if not all. Just what kind of bro you got there?? Did he offer to make it right?

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM

I think you've made the wise decision. But hey, that's just me...

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM
this is not a comperable tire as to what the factory installed.

It sure isn't.:eek:

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Ok, I've not patched a tire, but I have plugged two tires. And one I rode about 2,000 miles on. You just keep an eye on it and make sure it holds air. If the plug is compromised the tire will start to leak and lose air again.

It's not like it's going to explode as you're going down the freeway. Ever watch a stunt show? I watched a guy do a burnout till his tire literally started to come apart. The tire didn't explode. It just eventually lost steel belting and deflated.

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 08:43 AM
^^^Your custom title should read BIG STONES.

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I really don't see it that way. I know others that have plugged more tires than me and put more miles on them.

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I know you don't. I just hope it never becomes a problem for you...

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I know you don't. I just hope it never becomes a problem for you...

What do you think is going to happen? You really don't think the tire is going to explode do you?

kidmoua
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:18 AM
just use a plug and patch

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
What do you think is going to happen? You really don't think the tire is going to explode do you?

Where did I say that???

What can happen is that, when a sportbike is being ridden the way it was designed to be(with all inherent forces associated acting upon the tire), a plug failure will cause a drop in psi, which will alter the handling characteristics of the motorcycle. If this happens at an inopportune moment and the rider is unable to make the necessary adjusments quickly enough...very, very bad things can happen.

You want to rip the twisties, or God forbid a race track with a plugged tire? Go for it...and like I said, I i sincerely hope it doesn't become a problem for you.

I wouldn't ride a sportbike with a plugged tire for anything other than a quick ride to SavMart for a gallon of milk. And even then....

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Where did I say that???

What can happen is that, when a sportbike is being ridden the way it was designed to be(with all inherent forces associated acting upon the tire), a plug failure will cause a drop in psi, which will alter the handling characteristics of the motorcycle. If this happens at an inopportune moment and the rider is unable to make the necessary adjusments quickly enough...very, very bad things can happen.

You want to rip the twisties, or God forbid a race track with a plugged tire? Go for it...and like I said, I i sincerely hope it doesn't become a problem for you.

I wouldn't ride a sportbike with a plugged tire for anything other than a quick ride to SavMart for a gallon of milk. And even then....

Sorry, you didn't say that. I incorrectly inferred it.

But that plug is not going to just pop out. The seal may break, and you'll get a slow leak. In which case, what you say could happen. And actually, that can happen with or without a plug. A friend of mine got a puncture with a VERY slow leak on 198. He noticed the bike feeling different and finally pulled over. Sure enough he had a leak the size of a straight pin. Either way, we always have to be ready for a puncture.

kidmoua
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM

werd..

I wouldn't want to run a patch/plug tire at the track/twisties. But it shouldn't be a problem using it for daily riding..work, school...

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'm only trying to help...:)

aaw749r
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
just use a plug and patch

Don't forget the duct tape too

kidmoua
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Don't forget the duct tape too

werd...

on the outside to keep the plug from coming out..

Ciner929
Jun 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I've had a plug come out on the freeway.....NOT FUN...could have been WAY WORSE......
It's just a good idea NOT TO PLUG IT.

BlooDSMeaR
Jun 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
My 2 cents : Ray is offering a like new tire for 50% off if you dont take it I will................. When is a good time to bring my bike up to yah Ray?

Wile_E_Coyote
Jun 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
My 2 cents : Ray is offering a like new tire for 50% off if you dont take it I will................. When is a good time to bring my bike up to yah Ray?

It's a 190/50 tire, so make sure it fits.

poach
Jun 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
..and make sure it's compatible with the front you have on the bike now.

LDH
Jun 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
use the rubber rope type plugs and don't worry about it. I have done over 100 of them the past 20 years and they last the life of the tire without leakage.

aaw749r
Jun 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM

I'll notify you his "Comparable to OEM" replacement tire is in and then I'll sell it first to the first person with cash through the door.

Should be this week.

Ray

PRTSMN
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'll notify you his "Comparable to OEM" replacement tire is in and then I'll sell it first to the first person with cash through the door.

Should be this week.

Ray

Hey ya Ray money talks and b/s walks..:D

darkle
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:54 PM
wish it was a 150/70 I would have got it. I had to order mine.....oooo what great fun is the waiting game.

aaw749r
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
That 190/50 is not going to be avialable after all, sorry to tease.

Munch
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
You got a flat already? You just got those tires!

BTW, is that your bike or my bike infront of the store?

darkle
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
You got a flat already? You just got those tires!

BTW, is that your bike or my bike infront of the store?

Not me, my bro. Yeah had to order the tire now its on back order:pissedoff:

The pics of my bike when I pulled a 12 hr shift. :D:rolleyes:

darkle
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I think I'll just patch the tire until I get my new one, but who knows till when.