PDA

View Full Version : So What's The Best Tires??

YtseJam
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately for me, fortunately for the tire company, I need some new rubber. Been looking at the Dunlop Qualifier....but haven't quite made up my mind. I have a 2004 CBR1000RR.

I know that there are several opinions as to the best. Obviously, riding styles play a big part.

So what would you recommend, why, and for what style?:confused:

Mojo
Jun 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'd recommend either a Michelin Pilot Power or a Pirelli Diablo. Both are available in a multi-compound tire (2CT for the Michelin, CorsaIII for the Pirelli) if you choose to go that route. They're both extremely confidence inspiring tires and have a lot more consistent grip than the Dunlops. They'll pretty much work for any riding up to the occasional track day, but due to sticky compounds are not recommended for touring.

Outcast
Jun 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I hope this thread gets alot of responces! I realy need tires to. I was told the Qualifier is even softer then the Michelin Pilot Power,too soft for me I think. My friend just put some on his Busa and I,m trying to get him to go on a ride this weakend to see how they work. I am thinking about the Pirelli Diablo, most of my rideing is to and from work with sundays in the hills. Anybody out there tried them, how long did thay last for you and how did thay stick?

By the way my bike is 93 GSX R 1100 =(big,old & heavy) , and my curent tires are/were Dunlop Sportmax D218, stock take offs from a friends ZX 10 R and I had no complaints, they have lasted for 1yr and felt good for free.:D

Mojo
Jun 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Personally, I wouldn't put a Dunlop on anything. They don't tend to be a consistent tire. Grip changes drastically with ambient temperature variations.

The Pirelli is a fantastic tire. I currently have them on my Aprilia. They have a high peak, which means very aggressive turn in. You'll find that a new set of Diablos will have you adding corner speed as the high peak tends to make the bike fall into turns.

just ride
Jun 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
For me, it all depends on what type of riding. I use Bridgestone to Maxxis, (depending on the bike). For road use, I always use the same tire. I like to know how the tire is going to react (turn in, braking, lean angle). If price is a big issue, go with Dunlop. They tend to better priced. Most of us will never exceed the performance of any of the STREET tire(s) on the market. What ever you do do not put take offs or a track tire on your bike. Those tires are made to cool quickly. If you run them on the street, you will never keep the temp in the tires and they will not have proper traction.

Calkidd
Jun 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I believe you are not going to get any better of a tire than the Pilot Power. I took a brand new set to the track and they worked flawlessly. I mean the idea or thought about my tires never crossed my mind as they never missed a beat.

Outcast
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to the folks at Fresno Motorsports. They were very helpfull with my quest for new tires. They asked about where I ride, how I ride, and took the time to explain the good and bad points of the different brands. I finally dicided on the Metzeler M3, not to soft or to hard, nice consistent round profile. And they got them on for me in time to make my Sunday ride.:D WOW, what a differance, the bike feels soooo much better now! I didn't push it to hard, I had some slower friends with me, but I did push it for a few corners and then wait for them to catch up a few times,( ok more than a few times) and these tires work much better then my old ones! The bike felt realy solid in the corners, before you could feel the rear tire move out a bit and then grip :eek:, but no more, now it just sticks!

Anyway thanks again to Fresno Motorsports!

Calkidd
Jun 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, what steered you away form Pilot Powers. I know he carries these in stock too.

Outcast
Jun 27th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, what steered you away form Pilot Powers. I know he carries these in stock too.

I use a 190 tire with only a 5.5 inch rim, so I think the Pilot Power's triangular profile would be exaggerated to much on my narrow rim. All of the bikes I see with them (Pilot Powers) use a 6.0 inch rim, even with the 180 tire. But my friend uses only Pilot Powers on his bike (ZX 10 R) and loves them, I've ridden his bike with them and I think they are Great tires,verry sticky, if you've got the right size rim for them.

Basically, My bike is to old for them newfangled tires:D

Calkidd
Jun 28th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I use a 190 tire with only a 5.5 inch rim
You know this is a huge NO NO....:eek:

Outcast
Jun 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM
You know this is a huge NO NO....:eek:

This is a debate that will never end!
I could'nt get into Metzeler's tech section, but here are links to Avon's and Dunlop's tech pages showing that eventhough a 6.0 inch rim is recomended, it is ok to use 190 tire on 5.5inch rim. All 3 pages show a 190/50/17 has a rim width range of 5.5 to 6.0 inch. As I stated before, I would not recomend this with the triangular tread profile of the Pilot Power, but with a rounded tread profile such as the Metzeler, Dunlod, and the Avon, it is not a problem.:p

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=92
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=94
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=16

yoageallen
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:34 PM
My tires are the best! Of course! No body has better tires than mine! Hahahaha!

Megan
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM
So what would you recommend, why, and for what style?:confused:

I like the round ones:rolleyes:

Calkidd
Jun 29th, 2007, 02:58 AM
My tires are the best! Of course! No body has better tires than mine! Hahahaha!

For as much as you paid for them they should be the best.

Jester
Jun 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM
For as much as you paid for them they should be the best.

And not to forget "as soon as you'll pay for them again!!" :D

yoageallen
Jun 29th, 2007, 10:27 PM
shrug:o

Chief
Jun 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'm with FMS on this one. I've got the Diablo's (again) and Like them alot. Only gettin' about 2500 miles out of the rear but that's better than bein' put on your rear :D

Rune
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:14 AM
Ya know I really like the ones with air in them.

KRAYZ1
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
If you ride in town and on the Hwy. a lot the pilot roads are a good tire I get around 5,000 miles out of the rear and it hold good in the twisties on my
Z1000 and I ride in the twisties a lot :cool: