PDA

View Full Version : Got Dirt? - 5/21 or 5/22

montibank
May 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Dunno what I am doing just yet wanted to go out to the desert but that was a no go, miami my rear tire is jeeeeeeeeeeeeeest a little too bald for.

Suggestions welcome - no set plans yet. Still working on the baby sitting situation but I know I can pull it off sunday - saturday might take a bit more o doing.

~

Michael

mrlopez
May 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hey I got a nice tire from a YZ that you can borrow :popcorn:

montibank
May 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I may take you up on that - be careful what you offer!

And if you haven't bought a relay for your blinkers yet, don't. I ordered one monday - it'll be here tomorrow if USPS's website is right.:evilgrin0013:

mrlopez
May 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I may take you up on that - be careful what you offer!

And if you haven't bought a relay for your blinkers yet, don't. I ordered one monday - it'll be here tomorrow if USPS's website is right.:evilgrin0013:

Hey as far I remember the tire was like that when you brought it over :evilgrin0013: lol

Oh ok cool let me know

montibank
May 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
O lol your offering the mounted tire on the yz hahah... Gotcha. NM I already busted something on that bike I had to replace I can't afford replacing parts on my bikes let alone other people's bikes... :D

mrlopez
May 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
O lol your offering the mounted tire on the yz hahah... Gotcha. NM I already busted something on that bike I had to replace I can't afford replacing parts on my bikes let alone other people's bikes... :D

Well which one you where thinking? My WR? Fine you can borrow my tire I trust you :)

montibank
May 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I trust you :)

Did I ever tell you about the time I busted a guys chromoly frame in his dirt bike? Chromoly is hard to damage - but I mananged. Don't worry I got it welded within 1 hour of doing it without askin him first... I have judgement issues when riding. :D One of the reasons I absolutely do NOT drink (not even one beer) when riding. When I am on two wheels I am impared enough as it is!

Careful what you entrust to me - my idea of "proper use" is a bit off.

mrlopez
May 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Did I ever tell you about the time I busted a guys chromoly frame in his dirt bike? Chromoly is hard to damage - but I mananged. Don't worry I got it welded within 1 hour of doing it without askin him first... I have judgement issues when riding. :D One of the reasons I absolutely do NOT drink (not even one beer) when riding. When I am on two wheels I am impared enough as it is!

Careful what you entrust to me - my idea of "proper use" is a bit off.

Well I'm just offering you my tire not the bike, that way you won't feel guilty :evilgrin0013:

JonJon
May 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Going to Hangtown nationals on Saturday, but I could be up for some riding on Sunday. Let me know what you have planned Michael. :D

GreeNug
May 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm up for some dirty fun! I have a friend that wants to go to but is sans a dual sport so I'm looking for green sticker stuff primarily.

We were thinking of hitting up Miami to see how the trail clearing day went a few weeks ago but if your tire is a no go there I am open to suggestions in a 300mi radius roughly.

Still wondering if Whisky has melted yet.

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm up for some dirty fun! I have a friend that wants to go to but is sans a dual sport so I'm looking for green sticker stuff primarily.

We were thinking of hitting up Miami to see how the trail clearing day went a few weeks ago but if your tire is a no go there I am open to suggestions in a 300mi radius roughly.

Still wondering if Whisky has melted yet.

Miami is what Dave wanted to do as well (Five0Jester) - for the amount of money I wanted to spend in gas to get elsewhere maybe I should must go buy a dirtbike rear tire and run the piss out of it for a ride!

Hummm ... Wonder what CWS has in stock...

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ya know .... bah miami sounds fine. Now I just gotta cement daycare in good.

Tire or no tire this destination is as good as any.

mrlopez
May 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM

:mad: really wish I could go :mad:

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
:mad: really wish I could go :mad:
Why not? Little miss weekend?

mrlopez
May 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Why not? Little miss weekend?

Yup oh there's always next weekend

svbrady
May 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM

you finally get to come out an play an i have plans,bah humbug,,wife is graduating friday from fsu,gona take her somewhere nice,,thers always next weekend:D

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Called the Bass Lake Ranger station - guy was quite clear with me. "Trails closed - riding is expressly prohibited at this time" he said you wouldn't want to - very snotty soupy mess. Sooooo I'm outa my comfort zone there. I called Los Padres National Forrest - the trails that back up to Hungry Valley are closed. But Pozo is open according to them. Not technical riding that I know of (for the most part, I know there is a goat trail or two out there I will not try - I have stood on one of them before) think well suited to DR650s and larger dirty bikes, but might go out that way.

Here are my thoughts:

Miami

Closed

Hungry Valley

The portion that I am most interested is closed so not worth the travel to the area.

Hollister

have yet to check what trail conditions are like

Usually when wet the Renz property is closed and one of the other two (upper maybe?) is closed as well.

Green/Red Sticker friendly
Sound/Spark arrestors will be checked at the gate so make sure you got em (should have em anyway but never hurts to mention it)
Definitely a good time - I always come home with a grin on my face and a few new bruises.

Pozo

Trails open per ranger station
Plate would be requisite (no pavement - but some non-mixed use roads require street legal vehicle travel only)
Range fuel wise may be an issue for stock tanks
Very limited knowledge of the area - I was out there once solo and with a stock tank I wasn't able to see much (rode from Oceano Dunes SVRA) before I had to turn around for fuel.

Carnegie

Kinda far
Never been there no idea what it is like
I like reconnaissance so from that aspect it might be cool

I am not prepped for a lot of pavement - missing some essential gearing (http://www.kushsprockets.com/verifystock/cart/148/47/1) so minimal pavement, if any, for me. I would really rather stay off pavement.

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
you finally get to come out an play an i have plans,bah humbug,,wife is graduating friday from fsu,gona take her somewhere nice,,thers always next weekend:D

murphies law - happens to me all the time. Sucks sorry man.

Tell yer wife congrats! What feild of study? Undergrad or ??

chromefonica
May 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Go up to Jose Basin. My buddy went a few weeks back and said it was good.

svbrady
May 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
murphies law - happens to me all the time. Sucks sorry man.

Tell yer wife congrats! What feild of study? Undergrad or ??

grad program social work,she got a job already to at community hospital:D,

svbrady
May 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
blue canyon,dude

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Go up to Jose Basin. My buddy went a few weeks back and said it was good.

One of the guys is on a non-plated machine so that kidna excludes him. If I were going plate required ridingI would want to go to play in the pozo area if only to stay outa the snow and mud runoff. Trying to stick with the whole tread lightly program but not come off as a total environmental nut job which I don't think i am criticizm is welcome. There has to be some middle ground somewhere...

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
blue canyon,dude

Ya I know that is a good spot ... see above post. Kinda gets down to plate issue and some of the mud issue as well just to a lesser extent.

I havent been through blue canyon in over a year.

svbrady
May 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ya I know that is a good spot ... see above post. Kinda gets down to plate issue and some of the mud issue as well just to a lesser extent.

I havent been through blue canyon in over a year.

i want to plan a trip to the kern plateau,wont be july though got to wait for that damm snow to melt,over 120 miles of trails,,20 to 30 mile loop ya buddy

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Ok got childcare so ride is on . gotta drop kiddies off in lemoore at 0600, plannin departure from final bike load at 0800 no oversleeping fer me this time. We have access to a three rail trailer in fresburg. Nathan where does yer buddy live?

GreeNug
May 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ok got childcare so ride is on . gotta drop kiddies off in lemoore at 0600, plannin departure from final bike load at 0800 no oversleeping fer me this time. We have access to a three rail trailer in fresburg. Nathan where does yer buddy live?

My buddy lives here in Sanger so that's easy enough.

I can't believe they said that Miami Creek was closed? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. I wonder if they have signs posted or what? I don't think there is a gate that can be closed?

Hollister sounds like fun but I hear it can suck something major after a heavy rain. Hmmm, looks like there is a lot going on over @ Hollister this weekend too - http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04773/ride_4053.htm

I just put a new header and pipe on my CRF and I'm not sure it would pass sound check @ Hollister or not, although it doesn't sound too obnoxiously loud to me so I'd be willing to give it a go :D.

I also need to check if my buddy can make a distance trip or not, he was good for Miami but I'm not sure on anywhere else. It might be just me for Hollister or I might take the easy route out and just end up out @ Tulare, I hear the track has been really nice lately, decisions decisions eh? haha

I have heard that Carnegie is not that great, rocky fairly small wah wah, but I've never been there though and am always up for exploring.

If nothing else dual sporting it on up into Jose Basin sound fun too! Haha, I know I'm no help with the decision making.

Where is Blue canyon?

chromefonica
May 19th, 2011, 10:38 PM
One of the guys is on a non-plated machine so that kidna excludes him. If I were going plate required ridingI would want to go to play in the pozo area if only to stay outa the snow and mud runoff. Trying to stick with the whole tread lightly program but not come off as a total environmental nut job which I don't think i am criticizm is welcome. There has to be some middle ground somewhere...

No plate required at Jose Basin. Me and my buddy ride up there all the time. There are plenty of trails. Another option is bald mountain?

montibank
May 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
My buddy lives here in Sanger so that's easy enough.

I can't believe they said that Miami Creek was closed? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. I wonder if they have signs posted or what? I don't think there is a gate that can be closed?

Hollister sounds like fun but I hear it can suck something major after a heavy rain. Hmmm, looks like there is a lot going on over @ Hollister this weekend too - http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04773/ride_4053.htm

I just put a new header and pipe on my CRF and I'm not sure it would pass sound check @ Hollister or not, although it doesn't sound too obnoxiously loud to me so I'd be willing to give it a go :D.

I also need to check if my buddy can make a distance trip or not, he was good for Miami but I'm not sure on anywhere else. It might be just me for Hollister or I might take the easy route out and just end up out @ Tulare, I hear the track has been really nice lately, decisions decisions eh? haha

I have heard that Carnegie is not that great, rocky fairly small wah wah, but I've never been there though and am always up for exploring.

If nothing else dual sporting it on up into Jose Basin sound fun too! Haha, I know I'm no help with the decision making.

Where is Blue canyon?

Miami when closed you just get a ticket if caught out there when closed I believe, there are no gates.

Hollister after any significant rains gets like 3/4 of the trails closed and where muddy is slick as hell. I dunno how much a header makes a difference in sound... the muffler makes most of the difference. Some weekends they have a free sound check clinic... But then again that is a long haul only to find out yer gear won't fly. I have an expensive sound decible meter at work and you can download the feild test proceedures off the CA DMV website so we can check it ourselves sometime if you want.

I got the same impression about carnigie... I asked a local on ADVrider he said it is pretty small.

I really enjoy dualsporting around but I am just asking for an expensive repair bill if I do too much pavement on my current gearing ratio...

Blue canyon/jose basin is prolly the way to go - I wonder if you can get from one to the other with a plate 90% offroad.

Pozo would be fun for your 610 but without having been there extensively i think it would bet that by and large it is a collection of fire roads, not trails, which dave would not enjoy.

Let me call hollister tomorrow to see what all is going on, trail conditions, and what if any closures are in effect.

svbrady
May 20th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Miami when closed you just get a ticket if caught out there when closed I believe, there are no gates.

Hollister after any significant rains gets like 3/4 of the trails closed and where muddy is slick as hell. I dunno how much a header makes a difference in sound... the muffler makes most of the difference. Some weekends they have a free sound check clinic... But then again that is a long haul only to find out yer gear won't fly. I have an expensive sound decible meter at work and you can download the feild test proceedures off the CA DMV website so we can check it ourselves sometime if you want.

I got the same impression about carnigie... I asked a local on ADVrider he said it is pretty small.

I really enjoy dualsporting around but I am just asking for an expensive repair bill if I do too much pavement on my current gearing ratio...

Blue canyon/jose basin is prolly the way to go - I wonder if you can get from one to the other with a plate 90% offroad.

Pozo would be fun for your 610 but without having been there extensively i think it would bet that by and large it is a collection of fire roads, not trails, which dave would not enjoy.

Let me call hollister tomorrow to see what all is going on, trail conditions, and what if any closures are in effect.

miami condition range from perfect to down right muddy,sloppy,snowy, trees are still down in alot of areas so tred lightly when cutting that new trail when you go around :evilgrin0013:the higher u go the mo snow,,have fun

GreeNug
May 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Sorry Mike I'm a no go for tomorrow.

I have to be out of town next week for work and I thought I would have the weekend off for sure due to that! No such luck, they are more worried about the week I'm going to be gone and want me to get more caught up before I am out.

It's better to busy and in demand than unemployed I guess though so I am now looking forward to Memorial day weekend. Hopefully I'm back in town by then.

Glad you still have someone to ride with and I hope you guys have a killer time!

montibank
May 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
It's better to busy and in demand than unemployed!

Can't argue with that! No worries - we will ride again sometime.

montibank
May 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
miami condition range from perfect to down right muddy,sloppy,snowy, trees are still down in alot of areas so tred lightly when cutting that new trail when you go around :evilgrin0013:the higher u go the mo snow,,have fun
:D

montibank
May 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Holloister 100% open. Upper, lowe and renz.
So hollister is it if anyone else wants in give me a call on my cell phone

(559) too hate for - five juan juan too

Michael

mrlopez
May 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Holloister 100% open. Upper, lowe and renz.
So hollister is it if anyone else wants in give me a call on my cell phone

(559) too hate for - five juan juan too

Michael

So is this for Sunday?

montibank
May 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
No sat. cant pull it off sunday. I need to get some work done on the yarf sunday.

montibank
May 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Awesome day of riding.... trails were great. First time i have been to hollister when the rens property was open.... renz rocks!

I wont be going back when renz is not open anymore. No point. That iz where ts at.

Next ride has to be dualsport'n... missing the upper elevations... C'mon snow melt!