PDA

View Full Version : VP Racing fuels

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I have always wanted to try the new U4.2 which claims a 6% horsepower increase. Motorcyclist conducted a dyno test with a 1098 and only found a 2% increase from 143 rwhp to 146 rwhp. If you look at the graph there is a slight increase across the board whic is good.

So, I decided to check the price of U4.2. Well.....

5 gal = $63.61
30 gal = $429.23
54 gal = $632.60So at approx $12/gal I think it would rather just stick with pump gas.

However.....

Just in case anyone has noticed or was wondering there is a VP fuel station in selma. I have alway drove by it, but never stop to see what they were selling. Well on my way home from buying my truck I stopped by to see what they offered. They offer 100 octane VP Streetblaze racing fuel. I thought surely this stuff is just a higher octane pump gas like you see back east.

I did a little research and found out it is just your typical pump gas. Here read for your self.

Oxygenated with ethanol, this CARB-legal fuel is specifically engineered for high-performance street cars including sport compacts, muscle cars, street rods and more. It's environmentally friendly and street legal throughout the U.S. In applications with anything from 4- to 12-cyclinders or engines equipped with a turbocharger, supercharger or nitrous oxide system (NOS), StreetBlaze 100 will generate optimum power and performance. In turbocharged or supercharged applications, it allows an increase in boost without fear of detonation. NOS users can also leverage their higher octane ratings to step up to a more powerful nitrous oxide system. Dyno tests with a turbocharged application proved StreetBlaze100 generates up to 14% more horsepower compared to premium grade 91 octane unleaded gasoline. Designed for use in cast-iron head engines with CRs up to 13:1 and aluminum head engines up to 14:1. Works well on the latest generation of electronically-controlled turbo engines. Contains no metal compounds and won't harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

This what is said about the U4.2...

The latest generation of our U4 based fuels, this fuel is a direct pour-in replacement for U4 with little to no jetting changes required - +2 main jets and +2 pilot jets at the most. Makes power equivalent to U4 with no sticky residue and a less pungent odor. Designed for stock and modified 2-stroke and 4-stroke applications. U4.2 passes AMA amateur fuel rules and is perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. U4.2 makes up to 6% more power than pump gas.

When I drove by the price for the Streetblaze was $6.87/gal. Now I know that is a little more than pump 91, but compared to what the U4.2 is selling it really isn't all that bad considering what is says it will do. Now it will give a little extra HP, but probably not 14%.

kidmoua
May 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I read that same article last week. It said it's not good for cat. converters.

Wile_E_Coyote
May 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
A station in Coalinga also sells VP. Not sure what types though.

I read a thread on the Gixxer board where a guy cited an article about 87 vs. 89 vs. 91 octane pump gas. The article claimed that 87 and 89 actually put up better HP numbers. If I can find the article I will post a link. Any comments on that though? Certainly you can only realize any good gains if you have a Power Commander and a custom map. Yes, no?

Big Kahuna
May 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I read a thread on the Gixxer board where a guy cited an article about 87 vs. 89 vs. 91 octane pump gas. The article claimed that 87 and 89 actually put up better HP numbers. If I can find the article I will post a link. Any comments on that though?Not going to touch this one. ;)

speedjunkie
May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
the higher hp with 87 or 89 vs 91 is because the lower octane fuels burn slightly faster. the higher octane in the fuel is to help slow the burn which helps with pre-detonation in high compression engines. higher octance is not always higher hp

PRTSMN
May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I read that same article last week. It said it's not good for cat. converters.

i think it may also cause a problem for o2 sensors if any bike comes with them.

Devlausdan
May 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
i think it may also cause a problem for o2 sensors if any bike comes with them.

No... my buddies ran race fuel at Thunderhill. No problems. More power.

Devlausdan
May 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Calkidd,

Last time I check, Madera Honda Suzuki carried in their parts department VP race fuel. I believe it was 10 Gallons at $80. Guess that makes it $8 a gallon. Things may have change since. But check it out.

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I read that same article last week. It said it's not good for cat. converters.Did you not see what the last sentence said in the first quote?

Please don't turn this thread into an octane debate...

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Calkidd,

Last time I check, Madera Honda Suzuki carried in their parts department VP race fuel. I believe it was 10 Gallons at $80. Guess that makes it $8 a gallon. Things may have change since. But check it out.
Guys I am not looking for a place to get racing fuel. I posted this for information as I was curious when I saw the VP station.

I think I will try the streetblaze just for giggles.

A Ninja Boot
May 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Did you not see what the last sentence said in the first quote?

If anything is longer than 6 words he doesn't read it.

Wile_E_Coyote
May 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Oh don't get your panties in a wad. I was just curious.

Devlausdan
May 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM
If anything is longer than 6 words he doesn't read it.

werd

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Oh don't get your panties in a wad. I was just curious.Nothing against you, but anytime anyone starts to discussing octane it gets way off subject....

Wile_E_Coyote
May 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Nothing against you, but anytime anyone starts to discussing octane it gets way off subject....

So does it matter or not? I find it confusing. The racers run more octane and get better numbers, so it has to help. But what needs to be done to make it most effective?

On topic: on a stock bike, would there be much of a difference between 89, streetblaze, or the expensive stuff?

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
When comparing the racing fuels to pumped gas you are comparing apples to oranges. Racing fuels are refined differently having additives which allow for better burning of the fuel ie oxidizers to oxidize the fuel. This in turns allows the engine to produce more power.

Octane is an additive that prevents detonation. The higher the RON # the more octane is in the fuel. So in theory Will is correct if your engine does not require the higher octane you can hinder the ignition process rather than help it.

up in smoke
May 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM
i use arco 87 in the z1000 and the f4:)

Devlausdan
May 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
okay.. I understand about not getting off track on the octane thing. But isn't race fuel 101 octane? Please teach me.

Devlausdan
May 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
When comparing the racing fuels to pumped gas you are comparing apples to oranges. Racing fuels are refined differently having additives which allow for better burning of the fuel ie oxidizers to oxidize the fuel. This in turns allows the engine to produce more power.

Octane is an additive that prevents detonation. The higher the RON # the more octane is in the fuel. So in theory Will is correct if your engine does not require the higher octane you can hinder the ignition process rather than help it.

Got it...

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM
If you exceed the octane requirements of the motor it can hinder performance. Octane is only the measurment of a fuels resistance to spontaniously combust (knock and ping) given heat and pressure i.e. the compression stroke. Octane is not a measurement of the power potential of the fuel, that would be BTU's. Increasing any of the following three will increase the need for octane 1) compression, 2) timing, 3) boost. If you have done none of these modifications to your enging you do not need more than what the manufacturer reccomends.

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Octane is only the measurment of a fuels resistance to spontaniously combust (knock and ping) given heat and pressure i.e. the compression stroke. Ummm yes and no....Octane is an addative not a measurement. The R+M/2 is the measurement.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline3.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

ducbill996
May 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ummm yes and no....Octane is an addative not a measurement. The R+M/2 is the measurement.

actually, R+M/2 is the equation to figure out the octane rating... but yes, there are additives that they put in gas to raise it's octane rating... the additives are not called octane...

going by what tat website is saying, 110 octane race gas, would be 110 percent octane!!!:eek:

that would mean there is nothing else in the gas but octane... and they got an extra 10 percent shoved in there somehow...:confused::rolleyes:

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Ummm yes and no....Octane is an addative not a measurement. The R+M/2 is the measurement.

Oct or 8 eight
Tane or chain of hydrocarbons

octane - chain of 8 hydrocarbons

in diesel it is cetain or chane of 10 hydrocarbons

R = research octane or chemically measured octane
M = motor octane or mechanically measured octane

(R+M)/2 gives you the average of the two measurements
This is the American method of displaying the fuels octane, in Europe they do it a little bit differently and will yeild a higher number for the same fuel.

In gasoline octane is altered with different chemical additives.

yoageallen
May 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM
How bout them Raiders?

yoageallen
May 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Bryan is just a huffer when it comes to race fuel, thats all. He gets drug tested so he sniffs fuel.

up in smoke
May 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
How bout them Raiders?

no man, the 9rs?

ducbill996
May 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
oh yeah... no one should listen to me on this subject...

i don't know what i'm talking about, i just didn't want to say....

wait for it.... wait for it.....

WERD!!!!:p

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
WEDR !

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
WEDR !

And I can't even do that right.

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
WERD !

yoageallen
May 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
No octane or tire pressure threads!:rolleyes:

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
What brand of headlight fluid works best in the fog?

yoageallen
May 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Always change your fog light fluid, blinker fluid and muffler bearing at the same intervals. So as not to void the warranty. Most dealers recommend every 3 thousand miles with the oil changes.

ducbill996
May 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Always change your fog light fluid, blinker fluid and muffler bearing at the same intervals. So as not to void the warranty. Most dealers recommend every 3 thousand miles with the oil changes.

you had to say oil changes didn't you!!!!:eek::D

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Oh No, here comes the oil thread agian.

My 749 R needs a new wiper blade and I was thinking about those high dollar clear silicone ones. Any thoughts? While I was at it I was thinking of upgrading to the 420cc silicone ones too.

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
you had to say oil changes didn't you!!!!:eek::D

Every 3000 miles or 4 track days, which ever comes first!

yoageallen
May 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
But the rainy season is over! It'll be rotten before winter. Nevermind. Not like it will see the sun any way. I like silicone. Nice and firm to the touch!:D

speedjunkie
May 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
So in theory Will is correct if your engine does not require the higher octane you can hinder the ignition process rather than help it.

please tell me you didnt just call me Will

up in smoke
May 28th, 2008, 09:01 PM

change your avatar . i get you guys confused too

zpyro
May 28th, 2008, 09:25 PM

lol did you read those links?

"The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites"

It says that exact line in both of them :p

Devlausdan
May 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM

yes he did. I read that too.

ducbill996
May 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM

damn!!!! i thought you were will too!!!:o

Calkidd
May 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I was going off the memory of the avatar and thought Will had posted sorry Brian.

I am a little pissed here that this thread went the way it did.....This thread had nothing to do with octane. I even asked for you guys not to soil my thread with such bull****....Where is the respect?

ducbill996
May 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
you know threads always go off track.... come on your not new at this...:p

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I have always wanted to try the new U4.2 which claims a 6% horsepower increase. Motorcyclist conducted a dyno test with a 1098 and only found a 2% increase from 143 rwhp to 146 rwhp. If you look at the graph there is a slight increase across the board whic is good.

So, I decided to check the price of U4.2. Well.....

5 gal = $63.61
30 gal = $429.23
54 gal = $632.60So at approx $12/gal I think it would rather just stick with pump gas.

However.....

Just in case anyone has noticed or was wondering there is a VP fuel station in selma. I have alway drove by it, but never stop to see what they were selling. Well on my way home from buying my truck I stopped by to see what they offered. They offer 100 octane VP Streetblaze racing fuel. I thought surely this stuff is just a higher octane pump gas like you see back east.

I did a little research and found out it is just your typical pump gas. Here read for your self.

This what is said about the U4.2...

When I drove by the price for the Streetblaze was $6.87/gal. Now I know that is a little more than pump 91, but compared to what the U4.2 is selling it really isn't all that bad considering what is says it will do. Now it will give a little extra HP, but probably not 14%.

I do not see anything in here about not turning this into what it became.

Stop huffing the Sunoco Maximal 116, it'll kill ya.

kidmoua
May 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Did you not see what the last sentence said in the first quote?

apparently not

Big Kahuna
May 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I was going off the memory of the avatar and thought Will had posted sorry Brian.

I am a little pissed here that this thread went the way it did.....This thread had nothing to do with octane. I even asked for you guys not to soil my thread with such bull****....Where is the respect?Werd!

GsxR1000Ryda
May 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM

LMAO

Calkidd
May 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
While Byron and I are on our way to Willow Springs on Sunday I am going to get about 5 gallons of that Streetblaze in Selma. I will let you know if there is a performance difference.

speedjunkie
May 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
sheesh jump down my throat.

heard from a lot of people U4.2 is not worth it. U4 was great but the new one is what its supposed to be.

Calkidd
May 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
sheesh jump down my throat.
Huh?

kidmoua
May 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Where is the respect?

respect and CVR shouldn't be in the same sentence