PDA

View Full Version : CVR -Rich Oliver Mystery School day

ApriliaJoe
May 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Hey guys!

I talked to Rich Oliver yesterday about getting a CVR Mystery School together. If we get 6 or more people to go it will only cost us about $500 a piece for the two days (in comparison to $600 standard price). I know it sounds like a lot, but it's cheaper than two trackdays when you consider gas, tires, food, etc. (all of which is provided at Rich's School). I'm in already, so that means we only need 5 more to get the discount.

There are a few dates open

June 14-15

July 12-13

August 2-3
etc. etc.

There's more later on, but I'd like to do it sooner rather than later. Plus it'd be a good thing to do BEFORE you go tear it up this summer.

I can honestly say that Rich Oliver's Mystery School has saved me from going down on about 5 occasions now on the street. It has also taken seconds of my times at the track.

I just got back from my third Rich Oliver Mystery School yeterday. Everytime I go I get noticibly quicker and more comfortable on the bike. Not just the TTR 125's that we ride there, but on my street and track bikes as well. It is such an amazing learning experience that i have found myself going every 6 months or so.

Post up if you're interested. If you have any questions i can be reached at 559-313-5637 (313-JOES) and of course you can visit Rich Oliver's website at http://www.richoliver.net/funcampmain.html for more information about himself and the camps.

mrlopez
May 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Wow i really would like to go but dont have any $$$ right now :( maybe next time i heard nothing but good things about it :)

aaw749r
May 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Very Tempting, let me think about it.

ApriliaJoe
May 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Ok i've got 3 confirmed including myself, and Ishu from the Prather mini-mart may join us as well. all we need is 3 more!

kidmoua
May 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
..and this class includes track time too..right..?

aaw749r
May 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
..and this class includes track time too..right..?

Yes, on their Yami TTR dirt bikes. I've heard it is a B-L-A-S-T ! From what I understand his main focus is to get you comfortable with the bike sliding around - and - learning how to control the slide. If you are going to go fast on the track you need to be comfortable with the bike sliding and twitching while you push the limits of traction.

kidmoua
May 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
well, it does sound like a very exciting experiment..

Sprocket
May 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Yes, on their Yami TTR dirt bikes. I've heard it is a B-L-A-S-T ! From what I understand his main focus is to get you comfortable with the bike sliding around - and - learning how to control the slide. If you are going to go fast on the track you need to be comfortable with the bike sliding and twitching while you push the limits of traction.

I learned a little about sliding today :eek:

CRASH972
May 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
My daughter has a TTR 125. They are a blast to play on.
Hurts a lot less when you fall off it than a CR500.

ApriliaJoe
May 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM

EXACTLY!!!

poach
May 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I've been 3 times...and was a better rider for it each and every time.

*edit*

Ray, considering the path you want to take...this would be a great investment for you.

Wile_E_Coyote
May 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about it and it would be a lot of fun to try at some point.

Ciner929
May 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I've been 3 times...and was a better rider for it each and every time.

Hey Poacher, you should join them and show them how a person gets lapped....I could ask Robert to ruff you up a bit:D I know how much you enjoy that!

Big Kahuna
May 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hey Cindy, funny thing, the last time I saw Rich Oliver was while I was getting some service done at Wilson's. :) He walked right by me with some wheels he just had mounted. This was back in the "King of the 250" era. I was star struck and couldn't even speak. It was pretty sweet!

PRTSMN
May 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
^^^^why do they call it ray oliver MYSTERY school day?

aaw749r
May 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
^^^^why do they call it ray oliver MYSTERY school day?

perhaps because it is a "Mystery" as to why they put you on little dirt bikes on a flat slick dirt course for a weekend and when you get on a track with your sport bike you are now faster. It is a mystery - how do they do that?

Ciner929
May 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hey Cindy, funny thing, the last time I saw Rich Oliver was while I was getting some service done at Wilson's. :) He walked right by me with some wheels he just had mounted. This was back in the "King of the 250" era. I was star struck and couldn't even speak. It was pretty sweet!

He was the best man in my wedding......he is like one of the family........
He is so talented and down to earth.....

CRASH972
May 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Where is this school located? :confused: Ph# should be local

Ciner929
May 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Where is this school located? :confused: Ph# should be local
on his property up in Auberry

CRASH972
May 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Cool, now to talk the kids into going.:D

Sprocket
May 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
So is this like a day camp or do you actually stay there the whole weekend? Im interested in it

Ciner929
May 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
So is this like a day camp or do you actually stay there the whole weekend? Im interested in it

Two days..you go home at the end of the day......but I think he feeds you lunch and snacks............
Trust me, you will have a blast......

Sprocket
May 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Two days..you go home at the end of the day......but I think he feeds you lunch and snacks............
Trust me, you will have a blast......

My only hold up is; I've been spending money like I got it lately on my bike and gear. I guess another $500 wont kill me, and might even save me LOL

Which dates are you guys going on?

PRTSMN
May 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
perhaps because it is a "Mystery" as to why they put you on little dirt bikes on a flat slick dirt course for a weekend and when you get on a track with your sport bike you are now faster. It is a mystery - how do they do that?

oh okay now i get it,

Rich Oliver
May 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hello Joe!

Thanks for posting your Fun Camp up on the site, I also posted some discounts for the rest of the CVR members who may not be able to make your camp.

To clarify the pricing, Joe is using our Ride for Free program, where if you are a former Fun Camp student you can bring 5 friends back with you and your fee is $0!

Joe is nice enough to spread his discount out amonst the group so each of his 5 riders and himself will only pay $562.50 each. The price changes a bit if he brings 6 riders, to $578 each, and if he brings 7 it goes to $590 each.

But he only needs to bring 5 to qualify for the program.

If you can't make Joes date, then you still get the $75 CRV discount. Hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to riding with you again!

Thanks,
RO

Rich Oliver
May 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
WHY IS IT CALLED THE MYSTERY SCHOOL?

Rich Oliver’s Mystery School is named so for two reasons, one new and one old.

The new reason is that in professional motorcycle racing, no one will help you that really knows how to win the class you race. They may talk to you and be friendly, but they really don’t want to help you get better, just so you can go out and beat them!

So in our school we actually pass down the ideas and drills that DID make me a better rider over my 25 year career, and we distill down all the this information into a fine tuned program that gives quick results, revealing to our students the best way to go about improving their riding skills as efficiently as possible.

The old reason it’s called the Mystery School is that there used to really be “Mystery Schools” in the ancient past, and in these schools the chosen few would be taught things like mathematics, astronomy, reading, writing, philosophy, etc. But, you had to be a special person from a royal family or a special blood line to get the information, the regular riff raff peasants stayed ignorant in these areas of learning. I thought that the idea of a special learning center applied to this school as well. The difference between the ancient schools and ours is we don’t discriminate; all you have to do is love riding motorcycles and want to improve! So that’s why I named it the Mystery School.

HOW WILL LEARNING TO SLIDE ON THE DIRT HELP MY STREET RIDING OR ROAD RACING?

OK, this is the big question that I always get asked, and at first I wondered how anyone could not understand the benefits of learning improved bike control by sliding a mini bike on the dirt! You see the reason you can go fast on the track is because you really understand how the motorcycle works at its limit. That limit is way beyond having your tires in perfect contact and grip with the pavement! You’re never going to win riding like that! A real pro rider is always out of shape to some degree, pushing his machine way beyond the “hooked up” stage, and is backing into corners on the brakes, losing the front in the corners and saving it, power sliding the rear tire off the corners, etc. This is real racing and the Champions are masters of this balancing act between crashing out or achieving victory. Even the riders down the finishing order are able to push their bikes this hard. So if you’ve ever gotten a scare when your bike goes sideways, you may think that’s it, I can’t go any faster. Wrong, that’s just the starting point to a fast lap!

Look, it’s not my idea to ride in the dirt to get better; you’ve got to credit Kenny Roberts as the biggest influence in this area. It’s the main method he insisted his team riders’ use for bike control practice, and many other top riders from all types of racing would come do the same at his 160 acre ranch near Modesto, CA. Don’t know much about World Champion Kenny Roberts? Well let’s just say he was the greatest rider of his time both on dirt track and pavement, and I was lucky enough to ride for him for two years. Did it work, hell yes! I went from a top 5 rider to a Champion instantly. I raced so much better and faster it was unbelievable!

BUT RICH, I DON’T RACE OR TRACK RIDE, I JUST RIDE ON THE STREET, HOW WILL THIS HELP OUT THERE?

Have you ever had a car pull out in front of you! Have you ever had to ride in the rain! Got your bike out of shape over the railroad tracks, paint lines, whatever. See, you’ve got to have some built in reflexes when you get in those situations, and those reflexes better be the right ones! The ones you learn here. The last thing you need is to panic, tighten up and do nothing to save the situation and crash your nice shiny street bike all up! You could have saved it in most cases if you did the RIGHT thing instead of the WRONG thing or NOTHING! These riders are the ones who NEED to know how a bike really works when sliding more than anyone!

So think about it, you practice on a Yamaha TT-R125 mini bike on the dirt, with expert instruction by the owner of the school, and by the way I’m a very experience teacher now with hundreds of improved and satisfied students. This tough TT-R can be dropped, crashed, flipped, whatever. Pick it up and keep going because you only crashed at 15 mph and you and the bike are fine! Ride 5-6 hours a day and make millions of mistakes, but guess what, you’ve learned so much and gotten so much better its unbelievable!

Massively improved throttle control, better body position control and understanding of your movements, braking abilities skyrocket, and yes, you will learn to back it in sideways! How about power slides under perfect control, line choice, starting technique, gearshift timing, vision improvement, diet and heath discussion, a great stretching routine, and don’t forget a home made healthy lunch at my kitchen table made by my wife Karin, who by the way, is fast on a TT-R so watch out!

WHY SHOULD I SPEND MONEY ON MY EDUCATION?

Well why not, have you ever thought about yourself, you’re the MOST important part of the bike. For what you would spend on an exhaust system or a few tires you can improve the most vital part of the bike-rider equation, YOU! Think of the money you can save and bodily damage you can avoid when you don't have that crash, and think of the enjoyment you will bring to your riding the rest of your life by KNOWING how to really control the bike correctly. Education does not wear out or go out of style, it’s with you forever! Your money is well spent.

ApriliaJoe
May 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hello Joe!

Thanks for posting your Fun Camp up on the site, I also posted some discounts for the rest of the CVR members who may not be able to make your camp.

To clarify the pricing, Joe is using our Ride for Free program, where if you are a former Fun Camp student you can bring 5 friends back with you and your fee is $0!

Joe is nice enough to spread his discount out amonst the group so each of his 5 riders and himself will only pay $562.50 each. The price changes a bit if he brings 6 riders, to $578 each, and if he brings 7 it goes to $590 each.

But he only needs to bring 5 to qualify for the program.

If you can't make Joes date, then you still get the $75 CRV discount. Hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to riding with you again!

Thanks,
RO

haha, thanks buddie! :)

poach
May 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Well there it is folks, all layed out for ya. I can't say enough what Rich has done for my riding, and just as importantly, how i approach my riding.:)

poach
May 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Poacher, you should join them and show them how a person gets lapped....I could ask Robert to ruff you up a bit:D I know how much you enjoy that!

Well, lemme see here...

I've been racing/riding quite a bit lately...I have an irrigated 1/10mi Flat oval in my front yard...and last I checked, I'm the proud earner of 2 50 lap main 1st place trophies at Rich's school.

I say...BRING IT!!:eek::D

Ciner929
May 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well, lemme see here...

I've been racing/riding quite a bit lately...I have an irrigated 1/10mi Flat oval in my front yard...and last I checked, I'm the proud earner of 2 50 lap main 1st place trophies at Rich's school.

I say...BRING IT!!:eek::D

Only 2 trophies?

poach
May 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Only 2 trophies?

Hey, I was only there 3 times. Last time I raced against Bryce Prince and won. And...uhhh...Bryce just finished fourth at the last Red Bull Rookies Cup.;)

So BRING IT already!:p;):D

poach
May 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Yo Cindy!

Has broken that *cough*125*cough* out of mothballs yet?:D

Ciner929
Jun 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Yo Cindy!

Yeah right, that thing is plugged solid and full of cobwebs.........
think Robert needs some "healthy" harassment...think you can handle that?

poach
Jun 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I dunno...he's kinda mean. He could snap....:pound:

Ciner929
Jun 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I dunno...he's kinda mean. He could snap....:pound:

Oh yeah, mean huh?
Are we talking about the same Robert?

Rich Oliver
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Nice to see all the views and comments! Below is our fleet of Yamaha's

Rich Oliver
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
A couple of action shots from the Fun Camp class. Next open weekend is June 14-15.

poach
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah, mean huh?
Are we talking about the same Robert?

Not mean as in "vile person"...but mean as in "oh, so you want to give me some healthy harrasment huh? How you liking my elbow in your neck huh? See that hay bale? Like it? Well good, it's got your name all over it boy...":pound:

Looking at it from my viewpoint, you can understand my reluctance to take a stick and poke the hornet's nest.:D

Rich Oliver
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Yo Cindy!

By the way, even for Robert we don't allow students to use their own bikes anymore for the Fun Camp, we like to keep everyone on identical bikes! Makes the racing better. So sorry, no 150's!

Rich

poach
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hey Rich, that pic on the right reminds me of the time I was riding as hard as I could and you whipped by looking like that. Only you were actually looking behind you, riding with one hand giving me the thumbs-up, while simultaneously folding the front on purpose to scrub some speed.

Talk about a humbling experience.:pound:

poach
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
By the way, even for Robert we don't allow students to use their own bikes anymore for the Fun Camp,

Rich

Even if it's just a lil old underpowered xr100?:D

Ciner929
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hey Poach.....would you feel better if Robert put you in a hay bale if you were on "identical bikes"?

poach
Jun 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I have an idea...you want him out on the race track? You go race him.:D

Rich Oliver
Jun 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for talking up the Fun Camp!

Karin and I talked about doing a special for the next open date for CVR.com members only. She offered a reduced tuition of $550 for that camp only, on June 14-15, Saturday, Sunday. (right now we have 6 spots open)

If that won't work, don't forget the payment plan option, we can take the big $ hit and spread it out over 3, $200 payments, and you can take the school right away.

Good luck and thanks,
Rich and Karin Oliver

Ciner929
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have an idea...you want him out on the race track? You go race him.:D

Wouldn't want to embarass him........more like embarass myself:o:o