Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MSF Motorcycle Training

Name: Jodi
    Bikes: '06 Ducati Monster S2R

Default MSF Motorcycle Training

New rider training is available in the Fresno area through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation program. MSF is a national organization which works in conjunction with CHP, here in California, to offer a training class network to educate new and returning riders. This is a National and State organization which administers the classes through local businesses in most areas.

California MSF Site

IN FRESNO AREA
    Valley Motorcycle Training
    (559) 299-6347

There is generally a wait for the Beginner's course, so don't expect to sign up and be in the first weekend. Waits can be a couple of weeks to a couple of months. They do have a call list for cancellation openings so call and get on that list if you want to get in sooner.

Cost of the class is subsidized for those under 21 since it is required for that age group to get a license. $150 for under 21, $235 for those over age 21.
    This is the best money you will spend if you want to ride.

Info on the beginners course from their site:
    "Basic RiderCourse (BRC)

The Basic RiderCourse is usually a two-day course taught by RiderCoaches certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) using curriculum developed by MSF. All riders in California under 21 years of age must successfully complete this course to obtain a motorcycle license or endorsement. Upon successful completion of the Basic RiderCourse, students are given a Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL389). The motorcycle riding test given by the DMV may be waived with this certification and graduates may also qualify for insurance premium discounts with some motorcycle insurers.

The Basic RiderCourse is aimed at beginning riders of all ages 15 1/2 or older. To take this course, you must present a valid driverís license, learnerís permit, or a certificate showing completion of classroom portion of driverís education. If under 18, a waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian.

A minimum of five hours classroom instruction prepares the student for at least ten hours of practical riding in a controlled, off-street environment. Motorcycles and helmets for use in the course are included in your course fee. Fees $150 for students under 21 to $235 for others depending on the training site. Most motorcycles used in the course are loaned by local dealers and are either 125cc or 250cc.

In this course, you'll learn how to operate a motorcycle safely, with emphasis on the special skills and mental attitudes necessary for dealing with traffic.

RiderCoaches will start you off with straight-line riding, turning, shifting and stopping. You'll gradually progress to cornering, swerving and emergency braking. In the classroom you'll learn about the different types of motorcycles, their characteristics, and how they operate. The RiderCoaches, all experienced motorcyclists, will advise you on what to wear for comfort, visibility and protection. You'll find out how alcohol and other drugs affect your ability to ride safely. A very important segment of the course will show you how to create your own strategy for riding in traffic, and how to deal with critical situations. The course concludes with a knowledge test and skill evaluation."

Name: Megan
    Bikes: Thumper RIP

Default Re: MSF Motorcycle Training

They have a Fresno range again? I knew they lost their range out on Jensen a year ago. Where is the new location?

Name: Jason
    Bikes: 81 BMW R100 cafe in AU, 80 Suzuki gs850 cafe in USA

I didn't even see this post earlier when I sent an email to LOKI.

This may be a question for the DMV but maybe someone knows the answer... My girlfriend still needs to get her motorcycle endorsement and she and I both insist that she takes a class. Her drivers license is still an Oregon license. Will she need to get her license converted to Cali before taking the class or could she just do it all at once when she finishes the class.... also did I read correctly that she must have a motorcycle permit to take the class even if she already has an auto drivers license?

Anyone know how bad I'm going to get reamed when I convert my registration and license. I already know that Cali insurance rates are criminal compared to what I pay right now... The DMV will be the last ones to find out that I moved. My girlfriend already screwed up and told her insurance company...now she pays double.

Name: Loki

Quote Originally Posted by Cafferacer View Post
    I didn't even see this post earlier when I sent an email to LOKI.

This may be a question for the DMV but maybe someone knows the answer... My girlfriend still needs to get her motorcycle endorsement and she and I both insist that she takes a class. Her drivers license is still an Oregon license. Will she need to get her license converted to Cali before taking the class or could she just do it all at once when she finishes the class.... also did I read correctly that she must have a motorcycle permit to take the class even if she already has an auto drivers license?

Anyone know how bad I'm going to get reamed when I convert my registration and license. I already know that Cali insurance rates are criminal compared to what I pay right now... The DMV will be the last ones to find out that I moved. My girlfriend already screwed up and told her insurance company...now she pays double.
    Your girlfriend can still take the class with an out of state license. The only requirement for the class is completion of drivers education. A driving permit isn't even required. DMV will make her take a written exam for both motorcycle and car. If she has her MSF certificate in hand, she will be able to apply for the M1 endorsement. The MSF class exempts her from the DMV skills test.

As for registration and license, you will pay the normal fees. You car will have to meet Ca smog requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    They have a Fresno range again? I knew they lost their range out on Jensen a year ago. Where is the new location?
    No fresno range yet. I have had a conversation with another CMSP manager. He tells me he has a place and has been given approval to open another MSF school in Fresno.

Name: Scott Yarbrough
    Bikes: 1997 Royal Star; 2007 Majesty 400

I'm in the visalia one later this week... have to have it to get the bike on the naval base...

I had to schedule almost 3 months ago to get this class!!
    ---
    Scott, Hanford, CA
    http://www.facebook.com/f18sim
    1997 Royal Star, 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400

Name: Marcus
    Bikes: '98 Ducati Monster

Just completed this class 2 weeks ago. Fun times. My only prior riding experience was riding my mini-chopper around in my backyard and riding my coworkers old '76-ish Honda into a curb.

My class was in the Atwater location. Learned so much and cant wait to actually get a bike and start riding for reals.

Name: Larry
    Bikes: 00 Aprilia Mille R, 05 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
    I'm in the visalia one later this week... have to have it to get the bike on the naval base...

Doesn't that guy John run the program at Lemore?? He used to work for VMT but dropped out to do that.

J
    Fresno County Cyclists, Help Log one million miles for May. www.ibikefresno.org

Ride Safe

Yeah, the Fresno/Visalia and Visalia classes have a long waiting list. Especially, during the Spring and summer months.

For those of you who live in Fresno and don't mind an addtional 10 minute drive, sign up for the Fresno/Atwater class. There were openings last weekend. The class wasn't full. The waiting list is maybe 1 to 2 weeks long. 2 weeks ago, I told a friend about the class on a Tuesday, he immediately called and there was an opening for him that weekend.

Name: Nate
    Bikes: '06 F 650GS

I took this class in Sept and it was a blessing for a person like me who has never ridden before.

Quote Originally Posted by Shard View Post
    I took this class in Sept and it was a blessing for a person like me who has never ridden before.

When's John going to start the "new Fresno range?"

Ride Safe

I had the range portion in the big V and it wasn't that long of a drive.

Name: Jon
    Bikes: 2009 Ducati Monster 696

yeah john still runs it out on the base thats where i took mine about a year ago here on base. its a great course and him and chris bring a lot of experience to the class. all you have to do is call the base safety office and they run two or three courses a month. also they have an experienced rider course. im thinking of taking that myself here coming up.

are you talking about the base on clovis ave?

Name: Jon
    Bikes: 2009 Ducati Monster 696

no out on NAS Lemoore.

Name: Scott Yarbrough
    Bikes: 1997 Royal Star; 2007 Majesty 400

Quote Originally Posted by redwingsfan81 View Post
    no out on NAS Lemoore.
    Yep.. I ended up taking the MSF in Visalia.. When I took it anyway... There was a time ealier this year where the base wasnt doing the MSF... I had already signed up/paid and gotten confirmation on the Visalia date when they sent out the email that the base one restarted.. but I just kept the one I already had booked.

I can see the base one from our building (Bld 43, flight simulators) when they do it..
    ---
    Scott, Hanford, CA
    http://www.facebook.com/f18sim
    1997 Royal Star, 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400

Yep.. I ended up taking the MSF in Visalia.. When I took it anyway... There was a time ealier this year where the base wasnt doing the MSF... I had already signed up/paid and gotten confirmation on the Visalia date when they sent out the email that the base one restarted.. but I just kept the one I already had booked.

I can see the base one from our building (Bld 43, flight simulators) when they do it..
    Good move.

One of the managers at Valley MC Training Bryan, resurrected the program on the base and built it into a thriving training entity. After he got out, it petered and died. The base has hired a retiree (John) to run their program. Good luck to him.

With as dismal a turnout as we had in the last ERC, I almost shudder to even mention it (but I will anyway ) is there a date when people might want to have a class in the spring?

J

Ride Safe

essen Sie ScheiŖe

Name: Kimberly

Hey everyone, umm my name is Kimberly, currently im NOT in the central valley, but that is where im from, im actually in korea right now, but i'll be home for like two weeks and needed to take this class, when is it offered?

Name: Jason
    Bikes: 2004 CBR 600RR (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Hey everyone, umm my name is Kimberly, currently im NOT in the central valley, but that is where im from, im actually in korea right now, but i'll be home for like two weeks and needed to take this class, when is it offered?
    Wow Korea......

This class is offered every weekend hot or cold. You need to call them and make a reservation for a week that is convenient for you. Their classes are all typically reserved one month in advance so the sooner you call them the better.
    "You'll get your RIO when you get back to the ship, if you don't, give me a call I'll fly with you." (Viper)

Quote Originally Posted by SOUN1 View Post
    Track day is like SEX, no matter what happend you want to hit it again

essen Sie ScheiŖe

Name: Kimberly

ah **** really. i'll be home in like 2 weeks. and only BE home for two weeks. damn, that sucks. but thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast